I agree completely with what Jan and David have said.

If the purpose a journal is to communicate between author and reader
without frills and publisher-junk (cf. Tufte's chart-junk) then Hindawi
journals come high up my list. Conversely many mainstream publishers'
technical offerings are simply appalling. They create output which is
designed to promote and brand the publisher rather than communicate
science.

As I am partially moving into plant science I have been working on
content-mining (machine reading) the Hindawi International Journal of
Agronomy (http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ija/ ). The content is a clear
reporting of basic scientific knowledge; it may not enhance author's
prestige factors in our sick metric society, but it provides material that
is useful for making sure the world has enough to eat. It's honest
(compliant with the Open Definition, CC-BY) well prepared and with no
wasted effort on unnecessary publisher-junk (e.g. publisher marketing).

In particular the content is well prepared (e.g. uses compliant HTML and
Unicode, with vector graphics) while larger publishers like XXxXXXX destroy
vector graphics, XXX can't even create compliant XML and Xxxxxxxx and many
others actively lobby against contentmining.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics