Thanks for sharing your well - thought position, Heather.

My background is science, where the arguments for CC-BY are clear (legal
uncertainty inhibits reuse), but I don't profess to know the dynamics of
communication studies. In your example of a film still, why would it be ok
to use in the first paper, but not downstream? Is the argument that TV &
film producers will seek to prevent even scholarly use of their works if
authors retain copyright vs. publishers?