There are arguments against CC-BY as a default that apply across all
disciplines. The most important is the potential for downstream enclosure. The
sale of the business you've been involved with, William (Mendeley) to Elsevier
may be illustrative here. Scholars who upload works to services like Mendeley
are not necessarily aware of the business environment. BioMedCentral was bought
by Springer a few years ago. Springer continues to run BMC on an open access
basis, but they have no obligation to continue in this direction (unless there
is a contractual obligation behind the scenes that requires this). A
broad-based CC-BY success of the open access movement could easily and quickly
revert to toll access on a massive scale in the future (short, medium or long
term).

A system of institutional and disciplinary repositories full of content
available under generally more restrictive terms (eg fair use / fair dealing
base), with some redundancy through multiple copies, would be a more
sustainable system for open access.

To return to the topic of whether strong fair use / fair dealing with more
restrictive licenses might be better for open access and scholarship, there
will be examples from areas of science similar to the ones that I have made for
communication. For example in all applied sciences (eg engineering, some areas
of chemistry,   medicine), some researchers will be working with (or
critiquing) organizations of various types (commercial, government,
not-for-profit). These organizations will sometimes have materials of use in
academic works (photos, videos, figures, charts). In the case of cooperating
organizations, scholars may have more success obtaining permission to use third
party works if they will be included in works with more restrictive terms (eg
all rights reserved or CC-BY-NC-ND). In the case of critique, arguments for
rights to use portions of works to critique them (fair use / fair dealing)
cannot be extended to rights to grant blanket downstream commercial and
derivative rights, or to create a situation where others could assume such
rights in error by indicating that the whole work (article, book, journal) is
CC-BY.

Issues with third party works with CC-BY defaults are inability to include
third party works, academic freedom issues if scholars cannot include works
because of a CC-BY policy, legal risks for decision-makers who demand or
strongly encourage others to use CC-BY, and I argue ultimately limitations on
the kinds of research that academics can do if we must work under expectations
of releasing all our works as CC-BY.

Issues with third party works were mentioned in the responses to the recent
review of the RCUK policy with respect to the CC-BY requirement:
http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/research/openaccess/2014review/

best,

Heather Morrison

On Apr 26, 2015, at 3:11 AM, "William Gunn"