Hi all,

I'm really doubtful as to the success of these boycotts, if success is defined
as researchers actually following en masse. I see no indication that the
previous (still in force?) Elsevier boycott (The Cost of Freedom) has hurt the
publisher (maybe someone can provide evidence to the contrary). The same seems
to have happened with Harold Varmus' Open Letter in 2000, signed by tens of
thousands (it was not targeted at Elsevier but at all non-OA publishers, that
is virtually all publishers at the time; see
https://www.plos.org/about/plos/history).

But I think these boycotts (or boycott threats) can play a role in raising
among researchers the general awareness about the main issue at hand (OA and
commercial publishers). It certainly helps me, for instance, convince
colleagues that they shouldn't be bothered by Elsevier's recent moves to
restrict its self-archiving policy.

See https://gowers.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/the-elsevier-boycott-one-year-on
for more elaborate thoughts on this subject.

Marc Couture