Dear all

There are many things to comment on,

Let’s start why I see the libraries as the most powerful player in the game,
which hopefully become more active in the next years.

Actually I think the awareness among researchers for OA has increased a lot,
there had be real progress there. Because it takes some time (that hardly
anybody has) and courage to go new ways, I can totally understand the
conservative attitude of many researchers to stick with what they know (=
subscriptions journals) and what is best practice in their field. And let’s be
honest in some fields (like dentistry) there are still no serious Gold OA
Journals for those who would like to support OA. Nevertheless most researchers
are probably in favor of OA and are willing to contribute (like a boycott) as
long it’s done in a collective (like faculty, university or a country) and they
see a long time benefit. I think there are these very good examples like
Gowers, who has asked colleagues at Cambridge if they could do without Elsevier
or the many Dutch researchers who would have been willing to leave the
editorial boards if the VSNU not had reached an agreement with Elsevier.

Unfortunately I’m not aware than in Switzerland anyone has ever really
seriously tried something like that. What I see in my country, is that most
library directors constantly fail to inform properly their community and the
public about the problems of the current system. If you go to the library
websites, you will find no alarming sign that that there is something deeply
wrong in scholarly communication.

Of course if libraries take a stand against the publisher and cancel
subscriptions there always will be someone who has a negative feedback. But I
really believe if libraries were about to lay out all the facts (and there are
so many) and give insights in their struggle with the publishers there would be
support for OA from the faculty. We saw that in the Netherlands. As you
probably have heard, the VSNU even has hired a professional marketing company,
just to inform the researchers and the public about what’s going on in the
negoations. Of course solid facts and good communication is a necessity in such
a move.

Let’s take again the example University of Zurich. They are paying 1.7 Mio USD
for Elsevier subscriptions and at the same time there are about 300 papers
published with Elsevier. I think everyone except Elsevier agrees, that it’s a
absolutely legitimate requirement from Zurich that they want to have their
papers published with Elsevier to be hybrid Gold OA and offset the APCs with
the subscription costs. And actually that really happened. The University of
Zurich requested that option, but Elsevier turned them down with the argument
that publishing and subscription are totally different businesses.

So what the library should do now, is go to faculty and inform the researchers
and the public about this situation and propose to sanction this bad behavior
by at least cancelling the subscriptions. But in addition to cancelling
subscriptions, the library should stress that with the free money will provide
Gold OA funding (this may include hybrid). And that’s the reason why I think
researchers won’t be so upset. You take something away indeed, but you give
something back. I think many researchers, who are too busy or too cowardly to
take action as individual would appreciate this step as it applies to many.
Also it will also encourage others to do so as there is no clearer sign for a
change than that.

Unfortunately that has not been done in this case. The library probably just
thought about the tempting 4.5% price increase instead of the usual 6% and
silently renewed the 1.7 Mio agreement for 3 years. So the researchers of the
University of Zurich had not chance to understand the problems if they were not
extraordinary curious and explicitly asked the library about what’s going on.
So right now it’s the library, which decides that the money should go to
Elsevier and not to a publisher neutral Gold OA fund. So the library has indeed
a certain power.

Regarding costs of the alternative with document delivery and pay-per-view I
don’t have empirical evidence. But again let’s take the University of Zurich as
an example. Let’s say they cancel the 1.7 Mio Big Deal with Elsevier. If you
then provide the 800k for Gold OA then you still have left 900k USD for
document delivery or pay per view. So assuming the 30$ paper that would be
30’000 papers for 5136 professors and academic staff + 25’000 students. That's
almost 10% what Elsevier publishes a year (350k papers). Actually I have not
access to data about the usage of journals at the University of Zurich, but
I’ve been told by librarians that usually only a third of what they buy with
Big Deals is used. But not every download within a subscription model would be
converted to a download with pay-per-view or document delivery. I think „ask a
colleague“ or „ask the author“ or use the IR, Website of the colleague will
kick in very strong. I think we don’t have to wait longer to do that. Also the
awareness of the problem will now get down to every researcher which is one of
the main benefit of this scenario.

Libraries also should get aware that the reading and publishing behavior is
changing very fast and libraries are lagging behind with shifting money from
subscriptions to Gold OA. The problem there is that libraries usually just
measure the usage of their subscription journals, but they are absolutely blind
for what’s going on with OA journals (and there’s a lot going on as we know
from Heather). At the University of Bern, when counter data was explicitly
asked from PLOS, it was found that Plos One was THE most read journal on the
whole campus. Nevertheless the library of the University of Bern pays 930k EUR
to Elsevier subscriptions but ZERO for Gold OA funding. I hope with my FOI
requests (those for the University of Geneva and University of Basel are still
pending at local courts) and disclosing the payment, I’ve been able to shift a
public focus to this problem. And it doesn’t look so bad. I’ve been told the
ministry for research in Switzerland has recently requested the universities to
come up with a plan for more engagement for OA. I think the Dutch approach
was/really inspiring.

Best regards

Christian