Éric raises a good point. My numbers are intended solely as the best surrogate
for global open access content. However I argue that the BASE data should be
sufficient to at minimum raise serious doubts about an oft-quoted truism that
there is no content in repositories.

An minimum this is 100 million free metadata records, a very useful resource
for anyone who cannot afford Web of Science or Scopus, and a large percentage
lead to highly quality open access works of various types. Some types of works
are not the focus of gold OA. For example, I argue that it is repositories that
are transitioning theses from very limited distribution  (a paper copy or two
that libraries hesitate to lend) to a default of open access. OA gold fighting
repositories for resources and policy support is not in the best interests of
OA.

PLOS ONE was considered a smashing success when it became the world's largest
journal at about 20,000 articles per year. It is time to not only acknowledge
the growth of gold, impressive as it is, but also notice that there are OA
archives with even more impressive numbers.

best,

Heather Morrison