Hi all,

This is a question that comes up every now and then with researchers.

You spend all your career publishing in the 'Journal of X’ because it is the
fancy-pants journal of your discipline. The citations to your work in Journal
of X are also part of your reputation. Then something happens - the journal
loses reputation, or is closed down, or another journal becomes more
influential (the Glossa example comes to mind) and suddenly the 'Journal of X'
is not considered the top journal any more because 'Journal of Y’ is. What
happens to your reputation?

I get the argument that ‘it shouldn’t matter because the emphasis should be on
the quality of the paper’ - but many (many, many) researchers have impact
factor deeply embedded in their psyche.

I don’t know if there are any case studies or writings on this issue that
anyone can point me to?

Thanks in advance for help.

Danny

Dr Danny Kingsley