From: Bo-Christer Björk <bo-christer.bj...@hanken.fi>
Date: 2017-01-15 5:22 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)" <goal@eprints.org>
Subject: Re: [GOAL] Elsevier as an open access publisher

Hi,

before jumping to any sorts of conclusions, it important to look at what kind
of journasl published by Elsevier are full OA (and often without APCs). A quick
look at the list at
https://www.elsevier.com/about/open-science/open-access/open-access-journals,
shows that many are society or university journals from different parts of the
world, mainly from outside the USA, UK etc. These journals are free to publish
in because they are sponsored by the societies in question. If somebody did a
study of the regional distribution of authorship in these I’d suspect that the
authorship was strongly skewed to the countries and regions of the societies.
I’m also pretty certain that the average article volume are lower the the
Elsevier average.

Remember the silly controversy caused by Jeffrey Beall’s characterising Scielo
as a publication favela, where he recommended for local journals to partner
with the internally leading publishers instead? We’ll this shows an in-between
option. Unfortunately the option is probably not open to all journals, again
without doing an analysis, I would guess there is a strong bias towards
biomedicine and well established journals, which would be attractive for a big
commercial publisher to have in its portfolio.

Bo-Christer

On 13 Jan 2017, at 18:57, Heather Morrison