I agree with Ross, concluding that Elsevier is a major OA publisher based on
number of journals is misleading, so I thought I’d try to come up with some
figures to address this.

After deconstructing Elsevier’s OA price list
(https://www.elsevier.com/__data/promis_misc/j.custom97.pdf why this couldn’t
be a simple spreadsheet is beyond me… if anyone wants a copy please contact me)
and running the available ISSNs through WoS we arrive at the following figures
for 2016:

2016

Elsevier

PLOS

Articles

OA no fee

6176

OA with fee

4596

23147

Hybrid

343338

Journals

OA no fee

300

OA with fee

197

8

Hybrid

2145

Articles/Journals

OA no fee

21

OA with fee

23

2893

Hybrid

160

I’ve included PLOS here for comparison.

Elsevier, despite having nearly 500 fully OA journals, published less than half
what PLOS did in 2016. And their rate of publication is also low. Their OA
journals publish about 1/8 the number of articles per year compared to their
hybrid journals – only ~20 articles/year, hardly stellar performers, probably
only 1-2 issues per year. This supports the previous discussion that these OA
journals are not representative of Elsevier’s subscription journals.
Furthermore, articles published in OA journals account for only 3% of
Elsevier’s total article output.

If Elsevier’s 2015 value of 20,000 OA articles is correct, then half of the OA
articles are being derived from hybrid journals. (I’ve checked this on WoS too,
in 2015 their OA journals had just over 10,086 articles.)

Best,

Arthur