Hi Heather

Yes, although we recognise that it’s a key to shift money from subscriptions to
production, it’s not treated as a priority and is even ignored in large by the
OA movement.

> You are assuming global and permanent cancellation by academic and research
> libraries to all Elsevier journal subscriptions. Correct?

Yes. Or let’s say by a significant amount to harm the classical business model
of Elsevier.

> What about Science Direct? It integrates journal subscriptions, but it is a
> search service. Do you assume global and permanent cancellation of Science
> Direct as search service too?

Yes, subscribing to a hosting platform (what more is Science Direct) is one of
the absurdity of the subscription system, that we should overcome. It should be
a part of the publishing service we pay through the APCs which are also the
preferred model of Elsevier. I would expect Elsevier to run its hosting
platform in order to stay competitive in an Open Access market.

> What about Scopus? This service is used in rankings as well as for searching
> - customers include universities for institutional ranking purposes and third
> party ranking services. If the idea of global and permanent cancellations to
> subscriptions is a success, but Elsevier proprietary content is a key market
> advantage for this type of product, this might eliminate the transformative
> potential hoped for from global and permanent subscription cancellations

If you’re worried about that, the priority again must be to make the content
free at the first place. Provided the content is free, everyone can retrieve a
copy of Crossref-metadata and harvest the full text  (HTML, PDF, JATS-XML) and
start to build up analytical services. I have absolutely no doubt that, this
will lead to many innovations, especially regarding TDM and semantic
technologies.

Also let’s consider that there’s no lack of competition in this analytical
overlay: I mean for a long time WOS was the leading platform, then SCOPUS
gained some space, yet with DIMENSIONs there’s now another competitor.

> What about Elsevier published content to date? If Elsevier no longer
> distributes such content, what will happen with this content and access to
> it?

As long as a publisher is in business, he himself will have a lot of interest
in hosting the content. However if that wouldn't be the case any longer, there
are initiatives like CLOCKSS, LOCKSS, Portico, PubmedCentral etc.
The technical hosting and the redirection is not a problem at all, once the the
content is OA and CC-BY.
The problem here is again that libraries, instead of joining forces and push OA
for already licences stuff, are tempted to buy all the digitised backfiles a
publisher offer, even though the publisher illegally sells public domain
content under his own copyright (e.g. http://doi.org/b5mpgh
<http://doi.org/b5mpgh>)

Best regards

Christian