What is the relation of this group to the actual activities of CCC? Does it
have the power to advise that it extends copyright and licensing to areas
what those practices do great harm, and that the prices for re-use are
often extortionate (one article in NEJM apparently generated over 1 million
USD for re-use of a scholarly article).

If the advisory group were to recommend that CCC's activities be
transparently regulated with price caps I might have some sympathy. As it
is CCC will have to convince me that it is more than an unregulated
rent-seeker.

(It's also the antithesis of Open Access - the theme of this list)

--
"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069