We've launched a site https://github.com/petermr/openVirus to search the
whole open literature for content  which could help tackle the pandemic.
We're looking for volunteers (tech, biblio/library, documenters to help).

Background
=========
It's now clear that knowledge is one of the key tools in tackling this
COVID-19 epidemic, and also that citizens across the world are desperate
for knowledge. To address this some organizations are releasing
restrictions on all IP as long as the epidemic lasts + 1 year.
https://opencovidpledge.org/

those it has affected. It is a practical and moral imperative that every
tool we have at our disposal be applied to develop and deploy technologies
on a massive scale without impediment.

We therefore pledge to make all intellectual property under our control
available to any group or individual for use in ending the COVID-19
pandemic and minimizing the impact of the disease, free of charge and
without encumbrances.

We will implement this pledge expeditiously in accordance with the rules
and regulations under which we operate.
<<<<

The COVID-19 outbreak has drawn a minimal response from Scholarly
publishing, both commercial and academic (e.g. repositories). One
publisher, The Royal Society, has made ALL its publications freely
accessible without restriction. This is the minimum that makes any
difference.
The only other response I know of is CORD-19 dataset (
https://cset.georgetown.edu/covid-19-open-research-dataset-cord-19/)

CORD-19 contains 29,000 full-text articles with a wealth of information
about the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), the associated illness COVID-19,
and related viruses. The collection will be updated as new research is
published in peer-reviewed publications and archival services like bioRxiv
<https://www.biorxiv.org/>, medRxiv <https://www.medrxiv.org/>, and others.

At the request of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy,
CSET leads this effort in partnership with the Allen Institute for AI, Chan
Zuckerberg Initiative, Microsoft Research and the National Library of
Medicine of the National Institutes of Health.
<<<<
I have worked with this dataset and had helpful discussions with Allen AI.
But I believe this response is minimal and can be only used by a very small
proportion of the world. (I have no criticism of Allen AI, but  I have a
major criticism of the scholarly publishing industry).

This dataset (29 K) is a minute fraction of scholarly publication relevant
to epidemics, between 0.1-1% . Half of it is public anyway in Europe/PMC
and *rxiv so the amount contributed by publishers is even less. It assumes
that (a) the publishers know what people want (they don't) and (b) that the
only people who need to get help are datamining AI academics. The data set
is not readable by humans (the papers have been cast into JSON and the
metadata removed into a separate CSV file).

The terms "COVID", "SARS", "coronavirus" only reach a small amount of the
literature. I'm on a Cambridge Slack where my colleagues are discussing
many different aspects of tackling the epidemic. Here are some:
* aerosols
* communications
* early detection
* epidemic modelling
* law
* masks
* molecular modelling
* strategy
* surfaces
* ventilators

None of these will be in CORD-19.

It's clear that some strategies depend heavily on human behaviour and
political systems. We need papers on history, law, psychology, economics,
literature, maths, statistics, education, politics ...
... in fact everything

Every subject researched in University is relevant to this fight.
And the majority of citizens will be able to understand and use a large
amount of the scholarly literature. You don't need to know quantum
mechanics to read papers on how previous epidemics have been controlled.

Humans now must have a basic right to read any publicly funded research
without restriction. Charging them 35-50 USD to read a single paper for one
day is an insult. CEO's trumpeting what a great contribution CORD-19 is is
unbearably arrogant. People are losing their livelihoods and lives, yet
they are being charged exorbitant amounts to read about how to stay alive.

"food rationing" is a possible strategy in compliance.  I've searched
Elsevier and Taylor and Francis for this and of the top 20/25 hits there is
ZERO access to citizens, even for papers 50 years old. It's time we started
thinking about READERS, not authors.

It's also critical that we use machines to read the ALL literature as it is
published - perhaps 10K / day. And also theses. It's not a huge task, it's
just horribly messy because we don't have tradition of wanting the output
to be read or used. (If we had, the Ebola outbreak prediction would have
been made public many years ago).

The only modern way to use the fruits of public scholarship are:
* create all material openly
* with a semantic version
* review as necessary in public
* remove any access barriers to authoring or reading or re-using
* use machines to process all material and index it with a single point of
access. (Individual publishers with own brands are a massive friction in
the system. Individual university repositories are massive friction. )
* annotate, split, combine, compute. The human/machine readership should be
the judge of what's useful and needed.
* pay for service, not rent/ownership. The preprint servers have shown that
the costs are very low. Latin America has shown that the costs are very low.

This means that publishers must adapt or die. Other industries are doing
that - planes, manufacturing , food, ... People are dying. There is no
longer a right to make money by restricting access to knowledge (Paywalls,
lawyers, Glass screens, etc.). Publishers - if they are needed at all -
must put the dissemination of public knowledge at the top of their mission.

And if you've read this polemic this far, and have something to contribute,
https://github.com/petermr/openVirus

--
"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069