>I personally therefore object to the term "Roman Catholic" (which was
>interoduced by the British to differentiate us from Anglicans --  I much
>prefer "Christian"  which then associates me with Jesus Christ and not with
>any human organisation.

I do not want to get into a protracted discussion of Catholic theology,
since this D-list was not created to cater specifically to such needs.
Suffice to say, there are some errors that need to be clarified.  The word
"catholic" does  connote universality (from the Greek) and thus the phrase
"catholic church" typically refers to all Christian denominations (compare,
for instance, The Creed narrated by Lutherans and by Catholics during their
respective services).  When the word Catholic is spelt with an upper case
"C", then it typically refers to the Roman Catholic Church (more
specifically, the Diocese of Rome, or the Holy See).  Thus, we need not
blame/credit the Brits for this qualifier.    :-)

Those of you interested may want to read the Jesuit, Richard McBrien's,
excellent tome on the subject of Catholic theology titled simply,
Catholicism (Harper Collins Publishers).  It's an excellent read (very
engaging writing style, I assure you) to even the neophyte.  Before
asserting any statements on what/how/why/who/... about Catholicism, it
behoves us to first become more informed of that what we seek to
criticize/analyze/evaluate/discard....!          :-)

Best,
James