A month from today the people of Goa will exercise their franchise to elect
their new MLAs. In spite of all his high-handed tricks and gimmicks it is
certain that Manohar Parrikar's  BJP regime will finally come to an end.

The Chief Minister  already senses the impending rout. A desperate Parrikar
is stooping to unprecedented levels to avoid the inevitable humiliation.  He
is attempting to sponsor independent candidates to divide the opposition
votes. However,  with the anti-BJP wave raging , we will have to endure the
sinister designs of the Chief Minister for just another month.

A new Government should not normally waste time introspecting into the acts
of the past government. But in this case the magnitude of the damage done to
Goa's unique secular fabric should not  stop the in-coming Government from
taking steps to undo the colossal damage done to the State. The new
Government's priority should be to undo the saffronisation of the Goa
Administration and restore this State to its original colours.

Mr Parrikar has exceeded his limits in all respects. He failed to realise
that we are in a democracy and that one cannot dictatorially bulldoze one's
fanatic ideas and passions on the people at large.

He even went to the extent of abolishing October 2nd, Mahatma Gandhi's
birthday as a public holiday in Goa though it is one all over India. Given
the choice he would have replaced our country's tri-colour national flag
with a saffron one.

As part of his tactics  Mr. Parrikar announced some unrealistic populist
programmes to hoodwink the public. The Dayanand Social Security Scheme is
just one of these scams. The Chief Minister ensured that the beneficiaries
were chosen by the MLAs and his party workers.  It is a matter of shame that
a scheme that should have been  administered by the State was controlled by
the MLAs.   The MLAs were visiting the villages distributing the cheques as
a way to keep the people indebted to them. The true and needy beneficiaries
are left high and dry as they have no access to the powers to be.

Parrikar  has systematically gunned down, displaced and eliminated people of
the minority communities from key Government positions. A look at the
bureaucracy today compared to the complexion before he took over reveals the
evil venom the RSS cadre Chief Minister Parrikar has unleashed on this State
of ours.

On May 30th when the people of Goa speak decisively and cast their verdict,
Mr Parrikar will have to seek a place of alternate refuge. A Kar-sevak at
Ayodhya could be an appropriate destination.  And perhaps the rash and
negligent Governor Mohammed Fazal who acted without application of mind in
prematurely foisting another election on our cash scrapped State could keep
him company.

Aires Rodrigues
Ribandar