GOAN ELECTION MAY 2002.

>From the current events going on in Goa, it looks that many of the defectors
are getting the same party tickets from where earlier they defected  to
contest the coming election.  Other defectors who are denied party tickets
are going to contest the election as independent.  The Circular issued by
the Church on this subject is very relevant and it is now left to the
individual priests in their localities to use this Circular to campaign hard
from the pulpit (as Martin Luther Jr. did in USA to eradicate apartheid) to
educate the voters to vote for the right candidates. While using the Church
forum openly to educate the voters the priests should be very vocal so that
their voice is heard not only by the Catholics but also by others, such a
powerful capacity priests should show. Every political party will harp on
its sincerity. Every political party when it came into existence it came
with a slogan to give clean politics but later on every party turned out to
be a traitor.  Even in future it may be the same case.  For this reason
Church has provided a very good opportunity for its priests to raise their
voice against corrupt politicial life in Goa. While talking of Church
campaing, will the entire Church in Goa follow the instruction of the Church
Authority?  I doubt.  The Goa Church is polluted with some non-Goan elements
in the form of non-Goan priests who are mainly affiliated to the
congregation other than our Diocesan authority,  these congregations are
mushrooming in Goa and they have their own ulterior movives.  Many of the
priests belonging to these congrations have no love for Goan culture, Goan
tradition, Goan history and Goan way of life.  In fact many of the priests
belonging to these congregations are anti-Goans.  I am afraid they might use
their priestly robes to misguide the Goan voters.  Some of these
congregations are inhaling Goan air for their survival but implant as heads
and other office bearers of their congregations in Goa non-Goan priests who
I feel will never do justice to the cause of Goa, instead they will do
injustice to Goan cause.  Patriotic Goans should be very careful of non-Goan
priests and non-Goan Nuns, many of them are all out to destroy the fabrics
of clean Goan life.  They are envious of decent Goan life.  Some of the Goan
priests joined these congregations are suffering a lot for this reason Goan
boys should refrain from joining these non-Goan congregations which are
controlled by Mafia type of gangs from Mangalore and other places.  Those
Goan priests who are undergoing suffering in these non-Goan congregations
should revolt and resign from there and join Goan congregations.

Goans with social conscience must now come forward and start a solid
campaign against all the defectors who are contesting the coming election
again.  For example Suresh  Parulenkar in Calangute constituency should be
questioned by all the voters who earlier voted him why he defected and if
voted to power again what guarantee is there he will not repeat the same
defection? Likewise all the Parulenkars in Goa should be questioned and
reprimanded and if necessary booted out. If possible all the defectors and
even other contestants should be made to give an undertaking thru any
official method if available or be made publicly to swear upon their
religious books or symbols that they will not defect to any other party once
they are elected. To campaing for the right candidate one need not belong to
any political party, in fact persons having no affiliation to any political
party is is in better position to raise his voice against corruption in
political life.  Man like Christopher Fonseca Trade Union Leader is going to
contest the election.  Mr. Fonseca was involved in creating disaster of
Konkani Daily Newspaper Novem Goem.  He failed in delivering proper
administration in NG. If he gets elected then what sort of administration he
will give?  By the way is he first of all fit to get elected when he along
with other NGP Trustees failed to run Novem Goem properly?  If he cannot run
a small venture like Novem Goem Daily then how he will run the affairs of
Goa if he is elected?  The relatives, nearest and closest of Gulf Goans
especially of Kuwait Goans should ask this question to Christopher Fonseca
when he comes for canvassing in Siolim.  Likewise all other candidates
especially having dubious character should be publicly questioned by the
voters in their respective constituencies as the late Mark Fernandes used to
do in Calangute some years back.

If expatriate Goans had to have one Newspaper owned by them even a weekly
now at their disposal in Goa, lot of educative campaign could have been
carried out independently on our own behalf the way we want of course
without affiliating to any political party.  Unfortunately to press our
views we have to rely on this forum which is the previllege of few and as
such it can have a very little impact on Goan voters.  The local press in
Goa is controlled by their own affiliations, likes and deslikes and they are
not likely to give space to our views however good and constructive our
views may be. Whatever little space the local press gives us it goes as alms
to the beggar. Currently local press in general is headed by Non-Goans who
are unaware of Goan culture, tradition, history and so many other best
things of Goan life.  Their opinion they express on Goan life is a borrowed
opinion and whatever little they do they do it only to please a section of
Goan voters.  They are not dedicated to Goan cause and being non Goans they
will never do justice to Goan cause. Even the new breed of Goan writers
among whom are those born in “X” place outside India and brought up in “Y”
place outside Goa are not capable to fight for the Goan cause.  Some of them
are selfish, so selfish that for the sake of their personal gains they will
even sell their pen which should be rightly greater than sword. We need
staunch Goa lover editors, writers and publishers to put forth our views and
the same cannot be done without having the Goan press in the hands of true,
genuine and dedicated Goans.  This is the sad part of Goan life. In our own
land we adore others, in our own house we make our guests as Kings who will
never be sincere to our cause. In Goa people are very much interested in
having good leaders but unfortunately good leaders are not in existence and
even if there are and if they are capable of giving good leadership people
don’t trust them because they have not done anything worthwhile in the
service of public. Precisely because of this type of attitude Bahujan Samaz
was wooed to him and his party by crooks like Dayananda Bandodkar denying
Jack Sequeiras and their  Bhattkar/Bamonshahi an opportunity to give a good
governance to Goa.  If Goa is going to be saved from further disaster,
non-political organizations, non-political persons having affiliation to no
political party should come forward and educate the masses and voters to
elect right candidates.  If people think that only by getting elected they
can change the structure of Goa then they are sadly mistaken, this is my
view.  To create a revolution in India Mahatmah Gandhi and Jayprakash Narain
did not go to the local Assemblies nor Delhi Parliament.  By not contesting
election they created revolution in India.

A. VERONICA FERNANDES,
Kuwait.