Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 13:09:51 +0530
From: Goa Desc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] Polls prove blessing for primary schools.

Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Polls prove blessing for primary schools.

Many primary schools in South Goa which are on the verge of collapse
will be attended to before elections. Thanks to the assembly elections,
the repair work of these schools, which was pending due to bureaucratic red
tapism,
will be expedited as many of them are required to be used as polling stations.

The Zilla panchayat members, who are empowered to undertake this work,
were unable to execute it sans financial powers. According to the sources
in the Zilla Panchayat (ZP) it is learnt that the state Election Commissioner
has asked the authorities to take up the repair works of these schools
immediately.

The dilapidated condition of few of these primary schools had made it
difficult
to hold election process in it. As a fallout of reshuffling of booths,
these primary schools
will be the centres of election activities on May 30.

Anticipating that there may be a cloudburst during the elections,
the state election commission has made the repairs of these schools
mandatory, it is learnt.
Sources disclosed that the work will be taken up on priority basis.
THE NAVHIND TIMES  9/5/02 PAGE 3

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Working On Issues Of Development & Democracy