Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:53:31 +0530
From: "Joel D'Souza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Goanet] CPI'S CAUTION ON SIOLIM-CHOPDEM BRIDGE OPENING

CPI SEES RED IN VIEW OF SIOLIM-CHOPDEM BRIDGE OPENING

In an open letter dated 17th June, 2002, addressed to Chief Minister
Manohar Parrikar, Christopher Fonseca, Secretary of Communist Party of
India (Goa), has cautioned the government to ensure that the opening of the
Siolim-Chopdem Bridge is not carried out in haste before ensuring that the
bottlenecks likely to be created to the smooth flow of the increased
traffic, in the villages on either side of the bridge, are cleared. The
letter also says, "While we join the people in Goa in rejoicing at the fact
that the bridge will be completed and put to use for the benefit of the
traveling public after a long wait and delay, may we point out that this
happy development will throw up new problems".

One of the main problems foreseen by Fonseca, who was a CPI candidate for
the Siolim constituency, is: "The opening of the bridge will cause
permanent loss of livelihood to the people of Siolim and Chopdem, specially
those who have woven their livelihood on the banks of the river and near
the ferry-points. The change is going to be an ordeal for them, causing
negation of livelihood for the people at the Siolim bazaar, to the small
shopkeepers and their workers, gaddas, tea stalls, fish, meat, vegetable
and flower sellers, taximen, tempos, rickshaw and motorcycle pilots, toddy
tappers, liquor vendors and others."

The letter says, "We propose that the government should conduct a 'spot
survey' and publish a 'white paper' with a concrete action plan to ensure
that all those, who are affected, should be duly rehabilitated or
compensated for the permanent loss of livelihood and opportunity.

  "The consequence of the opening of the bridge will result into congestion
on the very narrow out reaches of the connecting roads, which are
insufficient to service this increased traffic." The letter also refers to
the totally run down condition of the connecting roads at Cunchelim,
Assagao, Badem, Caisua and Anjuna, which have not seen repairs for a very
long time.

Fonseca points out that the Siolim-Chopdem ferry boats should not be
decommissioned completely, but at least a skeleton service retained to
enable people from nearby areas to cross the river and travel to and fro.

The letter also strikes a note of caution on the environmental front,
stating, "The Chapora/Caisua River is dying a slow death. The once deep and
blue river is growing shallow due to the rapid siltation, a huge 'silt
bank' has been allowed to thrive right in the middle of the river due to
the crass neglect and apathy of the succeeding governments. The
multiple-pier bridge has further accentuated this siltation process." Hence
it requests the government to dredge the river for the benefit of
navigation, growth of fish, shell-fish and aquatic life, for which the
river was once known all over.

"There have been repeated reports that one of the pillars/columns of the
Siolim-Chopdem bridge is defective. In the interest of one and all we
caution the government to maintain an eagle's vigil on the bridge to
regulate its safety and use, and a double-check ought to be conducted on
the 'faulty column'," Fonseca states. In conclusion, he says, "The
government should seriously ponder over the issues raised here above and
take steps to rectify the same on a war-footing."

* * *