http://www.friendsofanimals.org/brochures/horseslaughter.pdf

Pregnant mare’s urine (PMU)
Connection  to Horse Slaughter Premarin, a popular drug for menopausal
women***, is produced from the urine of pregnant mares
who are forced to stand confined for months at a time
while their urine is being collected. More than 40,000
foals are born to mares on PMU farms each year.
Living byproducts of the lucrative PMU industry, these
babies are of little value to anyone other than meat
buyers. Most are separated from their mothers and
sent to feed lots to be fattened for slaughter.
According to Canadian government
sources, the figures for horses slaughtered in that
country are 62,351 for 1999 and 60,955 for 2000.
Horses bred in the United States and transported
live to Canada for slaughter make up more than
40% of those total figures. The remainder of the
horses slaughtered there comes primarily from the
450 pregnant mare’s urine farms in that country.
Friends of Animals has investigated the
PMU industry and found that the number of PMU
farms in the United States has actually doubled in
the past few years, due to the establishment of a
second pregnant mare’s urine processing plant in
North America. There are now approximately 82
PMU farms in the U. S.

How is the urine collected?
Pregnant mares are put “on line” in barns in October
where they will remain until mid-March. They are
restrained in narrow tie stalls and fitted with harness-like
contraptions that consist of rubber tubing connect-ed
to a hard plastic funnel positioned under their tails
skin under the rubber tubing along their hindquarters
can become very raw from friction caused by their rest-less
movements. Additionally, the funnel positioned
under their tails can move out of place and collect feces,
creating an unhygienic situation that will cause painful
sores if the funnel is not cleaned out promptly.

***Hormone Replacement Therapy's Benefits Broadcast Monday 8 July 2002
              with Norman Swan
              Therapy may contribute to lowering the risk for Alzheimer's
              Disease. Other research has looked at the issue of HRT and
stroke
see: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s602095.htm

posted by JJD'S