National Conference on Alzheimer's disease in Goa

A unique opportunity for the public to interact with experts in the field of
Dementia.

Alzheimer's disease is as prevalent in the developing countries as in the
west if not more, and the numbers are gradually increasing. We do not hear
much about Alzheimer's disease because the ones who suffer are oblivious of
what is happening and those who see it happen do not know what it is. There
are an estimated 18 million people with dementia worldwide and these figures
are projected to reach 34 million by the year 2025. It is also predicted
that by 2025, 75% of the world's dementia population will lie in the
developing countries alone. Goa's community is aging which means that the
number of people with Alzheimer's and related dementias is also on the rise.
Already 7% of our population is over the age of 60 indicating that nearly
One lakh elders live in Goa. Preliminary research done in Goa shows that the
prevalence of Dementias in the community is 2.9% above the age of 60 and 12%
above the age of 80 years and yet it is often construed as normal aging.

The Goa  Chapter of The Alzheimer's and Related Disorders Society of India
(ARDSI), have embarked on an ambitious and prestigious project - a project
which will be the first of its kind in India, a showpiece and hopefully a
model for other such projects in India - a 36 bed Home for patients
suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

As a prelude to this unique project, The ARDSI Goa Chapter will be  hosting
the VIIIth. ARDSI Conference to be held from 4th. to 6th. October 2002 at
the Hotel Majestic, Porvorim, Goa. The Conference is a forum for all,
wherein the public get together and interact with the experts in the field
of Alzheimer's Disease. This conference is for families caring for people
with dementia, social workers, people running old age homes, medical and
health professionals and anyone concerned about aging in our society. It's
designed to facilitate families and professionals to learn from each other
on how to best care for elders with Alzheimer's diseases. This annual
conference has attracted a large number of leading National and
International experts from various walks of life who will be addressing
various issues like managing challenging behaviours at home, the use of
medications in Alzheimer's Disease, care systems in the community, legal
aspects concerning dementia, caring for the carers and, developing services
for families affected by dementia in Goa.

Some of the leading National and International experts include  Professor
Martin Prince, Institute of Psychiatry, London, Professor Bob Woods,
University of Wales, UK, Dr. Diana Kerr, University of Stirling, UK, Dr
Genevieve Leuba, University Psychogeriatrics Hospital, Switzerland, Dr Jeff
Morgan, Consultant Psychiatrist, UK. The National experts include Professor
P Tandon, Director, National Brain Research Centre, New Delhi, Dr (Colonel)
Goel, National Mental Health Advisor, New Delhi, Professor S.K. Shankar,
Department of Neuropathology, NIMHANS, Bangalore, Professor Narottam Lal,
Department of Psychiatry, KGMC, Lucknow, Professor A.B. Dey, Department of
Medicine, AIIMS, New Delhi, Addl. Professor Matthew Varghese, NIMHANS,
Bangalore, Dr G.R. Chandak, Genetisist, CCMB, Hydrabad. There will be a
Medico - Legal workshop which will involve judges and lawyers from the
Supreme court, High courts as well as experts from the medical profession
who will discuss on possible solutions to the various issues concerning
Dementia and the law. It will be chaired by Justice M.S. Usgaoncar and Dr
Wilfred de Souza. Justice S.N. Variava of the Supreme Court and Adv. J. F.
Reis will also participate in the discussion.

We would urge all those concerned with this issue to  attend the three day
Conference. The delegate fee of Rs. 750/- will also include a gala dinner
and an entertainment programme at hotel Cidade de Goa. For further details
kindly contact Dr. A.S. Dias, Organising Secretary, Mainawaddo, Aldona,
Bardez, Goa 403508 Ph: 414027/ 293315. e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] The
management of the disease demands intersectoral coordination between policy
makers, caregivers, religious groups, and the medical fraternity. Let's
create awareness about the disease and get together to fight the deadly
brain killer. It is only when we assess the magnitude of the problem and
create a demand, that we will be able to influence the policy makers in this
respect. Its an irony that while the developed world is desperately trying
to find a cure for the disease we still do not realize that Alzheimer's
disease is a public health problem.