Muslims, Christians still not with BJP: admits Naidu

By Syed Zarir Hussain, Indo-Asian News Service

Guwahati, Sep 21 (IANS) India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday
admitted it had failed to fully enlist the support of minority Muslims and
Christians.

"We have only reached halfway during the past four years of our rule in
India and we must admit the minority communities like Muslims and Christians
are still not with us in full strength," BJP president M. Venkaiah Naidu
said in Assam's principal city.

He was addressing the inaugural session of a two-day conclave of party
workers from the predominantly Christian northeastern states.

"We need to reach out to the minorities and try to know the reasons why they
are not with the BJP. We need to knock at their doors," Naidu said.

Since sectarian violence racked BJP-ruled Gujarat in February-May, Prime
Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee's party has increasingly been accused of
returning to an aggressive pro-Hindu stance.

Four of the seven northeastern states -- Nagaland, Mizoram, Meghalaya and
Tripura -- go to the assembly polls in February. Barring Tripura, the other
three states have more than 90 percent Christian populations.

The BJP president said the party's strength in the southern and northeastern
states still remains far from satisfactory.

"We need to have specific agendas for all these states where our presence is
not very strong," Naidu said.

The BJP also hinted that it would go it alone in the assembly elections next
year in 10 states.

"We should not think of alliance or seat adjustments at this juncture and
try and work to achieve a clear mandate. That should be our goal," Naidu
said. "For the general elections due in 2004, the BJP should aim to win 300
seats on its own so that we are not dependent on allies."

Naidu said the Guwahati conclave was a major step towards a mid-term
appraisal for the BJP.

"We shall be taking stock of the party's political health and what best we
can do go ahead in our mission for a peaceful and secure India," the BJP
president said. "We have pledged to eliminate terrorism from India. We are a
nuclear power, but then we don't want to use (nuclear weapons) on anybody."

Terming the country's main opposition Congress party as one of the most
"destructive" political groups, the BJP chief alleged it was responsible for
all the insurgencies and separatist movements plaguing the country.

"The Congress party is nothing but a negative and bankrupt opposition with
no leader of its own and also no unity worth the name," Naidu said. "All
separatist campaigns in India were being propped up by the Congress during
its last 50 years of rule since India's independence in 1947."

The BJP has failed to win a single state election since Vajpayee became
prime minister for the second time in 1998 at the head of a multi-party
coalition.

It has been desperate to arrest that trend although it does not yet appear
that it will register any dramatic improvement in the northeast.

Vajpayee will be the catchword for the BJP in the coming elections, said
another top party leader.

"We need to tell the people in the coming polls about the virtues of
Vajpayee and his government's good work during the past four years,"
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pramod Mahajan said at the conclave.

--Indo-Asian News Service