*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Help GoaNet grow... recommend it to others you know...
*-*-*-*-*-*-*
-------------------
>LATEST ON THE NAVAL PLANE CRASH-

I visited the site a short while ago.  Rescue operations are still on
at the site where one of the planes crashed into a Bungalow belonging
to one Sayed Bismillah,who is into the fishing business, under
construction. One dead body of a labourer was retrieved by the Fire
Personnel in my presence. He was trapped under the staircase. There
were in all around 12 workers (carpenters & masons) inside the
bungalow. Three are confirmed dead, while four more are injured
(seriously) one of the dead is understood to be a cyclist who was on
the road around the vicinity of the other plane crash. It is feared
some more bodies may still be trapped inside. And all efforts are on
to hunt for any more survivors (workers) inside the bungalow.

The rear portion of the massive bungalow has been totally damaged,
where the plane first hit.  There after it perhaps exploded, the front
portion of the plane crashed across through the compound wall of the
neighbouring bungalow (occupied) damaging the main gate and hit the
High Tension Tower bring it down. The wreckage of the plane was seen
strewn all over the compound and outside. The nose wheel was seen at a
distance of around 300 metres from the crash.  Besides, wreckage and
engine parts were strewn all over the place in a radius of around 500
metres or more.

The occupants of the two naval planes numbering 12 (six each) are
feared to have been killed.  Incidentally, the Naval authorities were
celebrating the 25 years of the planes accident free flying
(unconfirmed-but this was what was heard at the site). It is only
Divine Providence that a tragedy beyond any imagination was averted,
for, just about a 1000 metres or so from this crash point is the
Murgaon Education Society's (MES) College situated atop the Zuaro
nagar plateau. AT the time of the accident around 9.30 in the morning
the classes were in progress.

It is understood that the planes while flying parellel to each other
during the formation made wing contact,and thereafter went out of
control only to crash land at two different places at a distance of
about 3 Kms. from each other. (Sorry, Could not visit the other crash
site due to tight time schedule). Shall be doing so in later in the
evening.  Several people were eye witness to the incident, and
actually saw the planes colliding in mid air, some others heard a
large crashing sound and soon smoke and fire emanating from a
distance.

The CM of Goa Shri Parrikar, Chief Secrtary, and other senior Officers
of the Goan Administration visited the site and held discussion with
the various Govt., Agencies involved in the rescue
operation.

Rescue operations are going on  with the Local Police Personnel, The
Fire Servies Dept., Goa personnel, besides, fire Personnel from The
Navy, MPT, Goa Shipyard, Zauri Indistries Ltd., etc Seversal hours
after the crash smoke was still seen bellowing from the site.  It was
heartening to see the various rescue teams braving in out and moving
inside the half collapsed bungalow (and the remaining part virtually
hanging, precarously with wide cracks)in search of any survivors.
People present on the site, were reminded of the 9/11 WTC New York
tragedy though with a much, much lesser intentsity.

All the Top Brass of the Goa Police Dept., visited the site, while
several other Senior Officers of the department are camping at the
site.

Due to the damage to the High Tension Electricity Tower collapse,
there is no power supply to the entire port city and the surrounding
areas.  The situation may continue for the next 48 hours or so, since
it is major damage, unless some bypass operation is carried out to
supply power to the city.I have travelled about 6 kms. to file this
report to the Goanet. I may not be able to get back to you soon, but,
shall keep you informed further as soon as I can.  I am proceeding
back to the site of the crash now.....

Daniel F. de Souza

Vasco da Gama.

 *-*-*-*-*-*-*
> Help GoaNet grow... recommend it to others you know...
> *-*-*-*-*-*-*
>      Two Navy aircraft collide in Goa, 14 feared dead
>

>      GOA/NEW DELHI: Two naval transport aircraft collided in mid-air
in
>      south Goa on Tuesday morning, one of them crashing on a
building.
>      Casualties are yet to be ascertained, but about 14 people are
>      feared dead.
>

>      Police officials in Goa told a television news channel that the

>      incident took place around 10 am over a ground near the Goa
>      airport. Efforts were on to extricate survivors from the debris
and
>      the house on which one of the aircraft fell, Pradeep
Srivastava,
>      DIG, CID said.
>

>      Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told reporters at a
hurriedly
>      called Press conference that the two planes collided in south
Goa
>      near the port town of Vasco. Parrikar said three to four people
had
>      died, including one of the pilots and six to 10 injured had
been
>      rushed to the nearby Chicalim hospital.
>

>      Unofficial reports, however, said about 14 people were feared
dead.
>      Parrikar said it had not been ascertained if there were any
>      passengers on the planes.
>

>      He said rescue operations were on with the disaster management
>      action plan already in place at the site. "We have sent senior
>      officers to get more details," the CM added.
>

>      Union Minister of State for Home ID Swamy is in Goa for
>      anti-terrorist day celebrations and will visit the site of the
>      crash.
>

>      AP adds: "We are trying to rescue a person who was inside the
>      building the plane fell on," said Pradeep Srivastava, DIG, CID.

>      "They were big planes. They carry about 38 passengers," said
>      Squadron Leader R K Dhingra, an air force spokesman in New
Delhi.