What's On In Goa:
* Oct 11: Konkani translation of Satre book, Alliance Francaise
* Oct 11: Friday Balcao, Mapusa. Mental health, suicides 4pm
* Oct 12: History Reading (Farar Far by Dr Pratima Kamat, Fundacao 5pm
* Oct 12: Goa Orchestra performs at the Kala (Corelli, Bach)
* Oct 13: Goa leg of National Karting Championships, Verna
* Oct 14: Colva Fama
* Oct 15: Magic in town... Illusion India show, Panjim then Vasco
* Oct 16-17: Ornithology workshop, Bondla southernbirdwing.com
* Oct 16-27: Vipasana meditation, Alto Porvorim
* Oct 24: Antonio Pereira Puraskar (Award) ceremony, Porvorim

Hello Aloysius, and Goans everywhere,

I thank Aloysius of broaching this topic of the real "Church". As a matter
of fact, I was contemplating on saying something similar on the topic of the
'Church' until Aloysius did the job.

However, I would like to say my bit anyway, and I do hope that my views are
not taken as imposing.

First of, let me say that I am no more a Sunday morning Christian. I have
outgrown this routine a long time ago, perhaps, this is attributed to the
fact that I was a sailor boy for far too long. Also, I have had the
experience of visiting places of the world where Sunday Services are
conducted more fruitfully with more of people's interaction, unlike the
full time rituals  and stereo type sermonising that we have,  where people
come, be one
in the congregation, follow the rituals and vanish to the sanctuary of their
own households to do what they have to do,  without having said a single
word
to the fellow participant (read nil interaction). We take it that the
"peace" that we pass on to each other at the relevant time during the Holy
Mass will bridge the gap and take care of everything.

Each of us  have, perhaps, attended Holy Masses in hundreds and thousands.
And we have
gone through the 'Elevation' of the Host and the Chalice. And the word that
go with the Elevation of the Chalice end up in " DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME"
The question is "DO WHAT???"

I once asked a person who was arguing with me on religious topic if he could
tell me the meaning of "DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME" . I din't get a
satisfactory answer. Leaving aside what we were told as children about wine
becoming blood etc, I feel that Jesus was exorting his disciples in his last
toast to take his example and not to be afraid to shed blood and even die
like him for the TRUTH and to uphold MORAL VALUES, and not just wanting the
posterity to remember that he had once raised a toast on his last supper.
(read Elbow-Exercise)

If the Church that Jesus founded had remembered correctly, today, we
would'nt have been ruled by cheats, self-centered egotists and vain leaders
and  criminals. We would have had the backbone to protest the injustices and
not suffer the indignities like the sacrificial lambs, always whining and
failing to take corrective actions..

It is laudable what the Jesuits in Pune are doing. Using the House of the
Lord for people's interraction with each other.

SUNDAY, I believe, has been kept for just the thing, so that the community
can meet, interract and find some benefit of being a community,  where
community members try to solve each other's problems, help each other. Take
turn to keep company of the community's sick in hospitals and  donate blood
when necessary (a crying need today). I have seen that if a member of one
particular family is struck down with serious illness and requires prolonged
hospitalisation, the respective family is totally devastated. All the
community members( read neighbours and friends) will do is to visit the
bedside of the sick for a few minutes and vanish.(read obligation done with)
Sad to say that I don't see the
catholic community as a closely nit  community anymore  but a widely
dispersed community inspite of all our Sunday services and prayer meets. We
are there in the Church in terrific numbers for services , for weddings, for
parties but we are not there as a
community for taking up for each other in the face of adversities. What is
worse is that we are always improving on our own piety and trying to be
holier by the day and closer to God, but forgetting that our neighbour may
be
needing our help.

I have gone on record for saying that I will start attending the Sunday Mass
if the Church services are more of community interaction which will
strengthen the severed bonds of the catholic community  rather than be
just the fulltime routine rituals and lip service, which I consider a
hypocrisy and a total
waste of time. As Aloysius has rightly pointed out that Jesus prefered to
preach in the open from the mountains.

As I have said earlier, these are my views and mine alone and I mean no
offence to the Church or to  any one individual of the catholic community as
such.

Cheers
Floriano

> Hullo Goans everywhere
>
> While talking about "Churches" we are all referring to the structures --
> buildings  --  what we all (particularly the clergy and hierarchy) tend to
> overlook is that the CHURCH DOES NOT MEAN THESE BUILDINGS  --  but the
> people who profess this wonderful set of beliefs  --  namely our FAITH and
> those who follow this faith.
>
> It is particularly because our clergy and hierarchy tend to place more
> importance on buildings and materials things that they have given scant
> respect to lay people  --   I personally know very good CHRISTIANS  who
are
> no longer CATHOLICs because of some treatment meted out to them by priests
> or nuns.
>
> While I do not advocate the destruction or  MODERNISATION  of our old
church
> buildings, which were beautifully built and are of very high architectural
> value, I think all future considerations should be for the benefit of the
> "CHURCH" i.e the laity  --  I would prefer to see large halls built which
> are used once a week for Sunday Mass and other religious services, but are
> used throughout the week for the benefit of the people of the parish  --
> which, as per Bishop Ferdie Fonseca, includes all people (Hindus,
Catholics,
> Muslims, Parsis, Sikhs, etc) who reside within the geographical boundaries
> of that Parish.
>
> It seems such a shame that our church buildings are put to so little use.
> The Jesuits have an ashram in the middle of Pune City
> --  a large hall in which they have the Blessed Sacrament and say Mass  --
> but during the rest of the day a bamboo chick  is rolled down screening
the
> altar  --  and the room is used as a reading room and for discussions by
all
> who would like to avail of this facility  --  consequently Hindus from the
> surrounding area come and discuss all types of subjects with each other
and
> with the Jesuits  --  this will definitely contribute to much better
> integration of the population and reduce inter-communal tension  --  in
fact
> our Mohalla Committees in Bombay after 1992-93 have done exactly this  --
> but in most cases our church buildings have not been offered for this
> inter-communal dialogue.
>
> I would therefore strongly suggest that we (hierarchy, clergy, religious
and
> laity) plan to MODERNISE the CHURCH (which would include everybody)  --
and
> not the buildings.  I am sure we would achieve much more benefit from this
> sort of modernisation instead of just modernising buildings.
>
> We should remember that the major lessons that Jesus himself taught us
were
> in the open  --  e.g. Sermon on the Mount  --  where he spoke in the
> greatest CHURCH of all --  God's own creation!!
>
> Cheers
>
> Aloysius D'Souza

Catholic,
> [...]
> same time leading people towards the ideal. A house of worship is a
> structure that invites the bystander to human ingenuity and then turn him
or
> her to gaze in the awe a buiding that embodies the best and highest of the
> human spirit.
> >
> > Basilio Monteiro
> >
> > "Daniel D'Souza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > >The St. Andrew's church Vasco is perhaps the same (structurally) as
> > >Aloysius  D'Souza had seen it in the early sixties. No major changes to
> the
> > >structure have been undertaken for last several decades. But, it does
> > >receive a periodic coat of white wash before the feast of its Patron
> Saint.
> > >Last year, the BJP Govt. undertook the illumination of the church and
> this
> > >has further enhanced the beauty of the church by night.
> > >
> > >However, plans are now afoot to refurbish the church interiors as well
as
> > >to undertake a few structural changes so as to accommodate more people
> for
> > >the church service. These modifications are limited to the sides, and
the
> > >necessary structural changes will be done on the either wing so as to
> > >accommodate further around 400 people or so.  The facade will be left
> > >untouched so as to maintain its centuries old architectural design and
> rich
> > >esthetic beauty.  The parishioners and 'Gaunkars' are all united on
this
> > >matter and will not compromise whatsoever. The project is presently
under
> > >active consideration and awaiting final approval from all concerned,
> since
> > >the cost of renovation/modifications runs into nearly 60 lakhs plus
> > >(estimates). Once complete, the church will have a new look on the
inside
> > >with modern facilities for sound/lights/benches/fans etc making
attending
> > >lengthy church services a pleasant experience.
> > >
> > >The St. Andrew's church caters to a large catholic population from in
and
> > >around the Port City and during the  Sunday morning Service the church
> > >overflows with people. For Christmas, New Year, Good Friday & Easter
the
> > >service is held in the open air where too the congregation is so large
> that
> > >it spills outside the church compound.  In the meantime the expansion
of
> > >the cemetery is also underway to meet the growing demands of those
called
> > >to their final rest. The Church cemetery also caters to the surrounding
> > >parishes of Our Lady of Candelaria Church Baina, Our Lady of Desterro
> > >Church, Desterro, and the St. Francis Church at the Harbour which are

Vasco