What's On In Goa:
* Oct 11: Konkani translation of Satre book, Alliance Francaise
* Oct 11: Friday Balcao, Mapusa. Mental health, suicides 4pm
* Oct 12: History Reading (Farar Far by Dr Pratima Kamat, Fundacao 5pm
* Oct 12: Goa Orchestra performs at the Kala (Corelli, Bach)
* Oct 13: Goa leg of National Karting Championships, Verna
* Oct 14: Colva Fama
* Oct 15: Magic in town... Illusion India show, Panjim then Vasco
* Oct 16-17: Ornithology workshop, Bondla southernbirdwing.com
* Oct 16-27: Vipasana meditation, Alto Porvorim
* Oct 24: Antonio Pereira Puraskar (Award) ceremony, Porvorim

Hullo Goans everywhere

While talking about "Churches" we are all referring to the structures --
buildings  --  what we all (particularly the clergy and hierarchy) tend to
overlook is that the CHURCH DOES NOT MEAN THESE BUILDINGS  --  but the
people who profess this wonderful set of beliefs  --  namely our FAITH and
those who follow this faith.

It is particularly because our clergy and hierarchy tend to place more
importance on buildings and materials things that they have given scant
respect to lay people  --   I personally know very good CHRISTIANS  who are
no longer CATHOLICs because of some treatment meted out to them by priests
or nuns.

While I do not advocate the destruction or  MODERNISATION  of our old church
buildings, which were beautifully built and are of very high architectural
value, I think all future considerations should be for the benefit of the
"CHURCH" i.e the laity  --  I would prefer to see large halls built which
are used once a week for Sunday Mass and other religious services, but are
used throughout the week for the benefit of the people of the parish  --
which, as per Bishop Ferdie Fonseca, includes all people (Hindus, Catholics,
Muslims, Parsis, Sikhs, etc) who reside within the geographical boundaries
of that Parish.

It seems such a shame that our church buildings are put to so little use.
The Jesuits have an ashram in the middle of Pune City
--  a large hall in which they have the Blessed Sacrament and say Mass  --
but during the rest of the day a bamboo chick  is rolled down screening the
altar  --  and the room is used as a reading room and for discussions by all
who would like to avail of this facility  --  consequently Hindus from the
surrounding area come and discuss all types of subjects with each other and
with the Jesuits  --  this will definitely contribute to much better
integration of the population and reduce inter-communal tension  --  in fact
our Mohalla Committees in Bombay after 1992-93 have done exactly this  --
but in most cases our church buildings have not been offered for this
inter-communal dialogue.

I would therefore strongly suggest that we (hierarchy, clergy, religious and
laity) plan to MODERNISE the CHURCH (which would include everybody)  -- and
not the buildings.  I am sure we would achieve much more benefit from this
sort of modernisation instead of just modernising buildings.

We should remember that the major lessons that Jesus himself taught us were
in the open  --  e.g. Sermon on the Mount  --  where he spoke in the
greatest CHURCH of all --  God's own creation!!

Cheers

Aloysius D'Souza