What's On In Goa:
* Oct 16-27: Vipasana meditation, Alto Porvorim
* Oct 24: Antonio Pereira Puraskar (Award) ceremony, Porvorim

   I am no sports fan now that I am an old man and every bone in me is
bent:-) But folks I am not 70 and I hope, God willing I reach that age and
many more years.

     I have watched the International Soccer Games for quite a few years and
have been thrilled by some wunder-kinds like Eusebio, Pele, Maradona and the
recent crop of big time earners. Yesterday, I watched a game by girls under
19 years . Some were even 15 and practically all were students. I was shocked
at the standard of these kids and before a crowd of 49,000 spectators, in
Edmonton, it was a joy to see these young girls play ball (no pun intended)
that would astonish my fellow Goans. Is there a time when Indian football
games draw such large crowds?

         The most interesting novelty was an American girl who threw the ball
from the sidelines from a distance with her hands straight up holding the
ball. She ran, somersaulted and in one leap, just at the edge, threw the ball
to a distance that was incredible. She used the ball to touch the ground when
she somersaulted. This method is not too accurate at times. I suppose that
apart from agility, one needs a lot of practise.

      Sepp Blatter the President of FIFA was in attendance. The game ended in
sudden-death time a few minutes in the second 15 mins. play. A Canadian girl
(Sinclair) won the golden ball for a superb performance. The Americans won
the game. The finale was very touching with plenty of joy on one side and
tears on the other. I was surprised at the performance of the Canadian
goalkeeper who put on a superb performance leaping into the air like a
gazelle for the ball. Her sister and father (an engineer) came from the Far
East specially to see her play. Towards the end she clashed with a team-mate
and hurt her shoulder which could have been why she could not keep the ball
out. A very scintillating game.

      Edgar Martins