Goa's phone numbers change from Nov 10, 2002. Prefix old number with a 2. New numbers
will be seven-digit 2XXXXXX (where XXXXXX is the old number).

----- Original Message -----
From: Floriano Lobo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 9:21 AM
Subject: Su-Raj V/s Bu-Raj (TitBits -017)

> TitBits 017  Su-Raj V/s Bu-Raj
>
> And for the first time, leading to the May 30th. assembly elections of
Goa,
> we saw umpteen attempts by  all the leading political parties to rub one
> slogan to its last end. The slogan being  "Good Governance"  We saw
Manohar
> Parrikar's BJP voicing it. We saw Shashikala Kakodkar making maximum noise
> about it as was the Congress.  We saw huge hoadings all over Goa
> proclaiming "Good Governance". And  we saw, for the first time, a
political
> party actually named after the slogan "Goa Su-Raj Party"  simply meaning
> "Goa Good Governance Party" also trying to snatch its share of proclaiming
> good governance in its unique way
>
> And, many elections have come and gone since 1961 and the  political
parties
> did not see the good reason to flog this "Good Governance " slogan. Maybe
> this was attributed to the fact  that no one saw it fit that the people of
> Goa should be  unnecessarily awakened to the fact that  there is something
> called "Good Governance". Why throw a stone in the dung and get splashed
all
> over??
>
> Rajesh Singh, in his series on "Good Governance" (NT)  stirred the
hornet's
> nest. The cue was immediately taken by the people who are behind the
> formation of the "Good Governance Party"  and it became "fait accompli".
And
> whereas  'Suraj' which  was hitherto  considered  as the 'Sun'  got to be
> acknowledged as "Good Governance"  too.
>
> The connection between Suraj and  Swaraj  made big  waves in Goa when  the
> most enterprising Ms. Deepa Murkunde  gave it the recognition when she
> boldly stated "We got Swaraj - But we want Suraj", and when she was jailed
> for demanding, in her own very special and unique way, a little cleaner
> facility of the luxury of the toilet in the Gandhi Market. What that meant
> was that inspite of us getting the much touted Swaraj, it was still the
> smelling, stinking and overflowing 'Badburaj" in the Gandhi market.
>
> But then it is not a mere coincidence that the existence of this Badburaj
> which I would prefer to call  Buraj for simplicity sake, has even hit as
far
> as Delhi when we see our enterprising Union Home Minister and the  second
in
> command Dy. Prime Minister Shri. Lal Krishna Advani  giving voice to the
> same sentiments as  Ms. Deepa Murkunde. Perhaps, and it may not be an
> exaggeration, the toilets in Delhi must be at their point of no return and
> stinking and smelling and overflowing that even the otherwise insensitive
> nose of our dear dear Lal Krishna Advani  is revolting.  He is absolutely
> right when he says "SURAJ  IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT GOOD HEALTH FOR ALL" (Herald
> Nov 11 Page 5)
>
> And it is  the universal fact that if one has to start one's day  by
adoring
> a  smelling, stinking and overflowing toilet, one cannot help but be sick.
> And it is the universal fact that the  stink  which is directly connected
> Buraj that is flowing down from our august  Parliament House in Delhi,
into
> the numerous Legislative Assemblies and umpteen Municipal Corporations
and
> hundreds of  Zilla Panchayats and thousands of Gram Panchayats, will
> eventually  overflow into the  Parliament House by return and the stink of
> which will reach the otherwise insensitive noses of the Kings who are
> dishing out the Buraj in the first place.
>
> Therefore, it is important that before the kings themselves lose their
good
> health, they should start cleaning up their acts  so that the people of
> India may experience the Suraj leading up to giving them good and
enjoyable
> health.
>
> Cheers
> Floriano

What's On In Goa (WOIG):
Nov 06 Children's book exhibn opens, Walkabout, Anjuna... (all weekdays)
Nov 06 ArtHouse, Calangute: Chaitali's acrylics on canvas till 19.11
Nov 07 Revision of electoral rolls (till Nov 30) See schedule.
Nov 07 Creative science, for children, Goa Sc Centre (till 16.11)
Nov 10 Corporate summit on IT and biotechnology, Intl Centre (till 11.11)
Nov 17 Goan Engineers and Assoc meet, at Pickering, Canada.
Nov 20 Fr Agnelo's 75th death anniversary, Pilar
Dec 01 Two day conference, Goa Agenda. IT For Society. (Ends 2.12)
Every Sunday: Music therapy sessions at Moira, 5 pm. 278, N.Portugal