In a message dated 01/03/2003 10:47:45 AM EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Actually, Panaji (with the second 'a' silent, as it is pronounced) is
 rather close to the Portuguese term Pangim (with the 'm' almost
 silent). Panjim, preferred by English-language speakers, seems to be of
 uncertain origins. If we want to go forward via the past, shouldn't we
 all think about the locally more-authentic 'Ponjje'?  FN >>

That's the way I remember it in days bygone :-)

But, what motivates people to change names -- just to suit their appetites?

If we want to get rid of "Panjim" then "Ponjje" is my most logical choice.

Pat

WANT TO check out which mailing lists you could subscribe to? Send a blank email
message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]