----- Original Message -----
From: Frederick Noronha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 2:24 PM
Subject: [GOANET] Panaji...

> Actually, Panaji (with the second 'a' silent, as it is pronounced) is
> rather close to the Portuguese term Pangim (with the 'm' almost
> silent). Panjim, preferred by English-language speakers, seems to be of
> uncertain origins. If we want to go forward via the past, shouldn't we
> all think about the locally more-authentic 'Ponjje'?  FN

Actually, it should never have been "Panaji" in Roman characters. If one
observes its Devnagari spelling, the correct transliteration in Roman should
be "Ponnji", and this is exactly how we always called the city in "amchi
bhas". "Ponnje" (and not "Ponjje" as Fred writes) is the oblique form of
"Ponnji", so "I am in Panjim" and "I am going to Panjim" is in Konkani "Hanv
Ponnje asam" and "Hanv Ponnje vetam", "I am from Panjim" is "Hanv Ponnjecho
(Ponnjechi, Ponnjechem)" or "Kanv Ponnjekar (Ponnjekarn)", "I came from
Panjim" is "Hanv Ponnje-thaun ailom (ailim, ailem)", and "My birthplace is
Panjim" is "Mojea zolmacho ganv (or Mozo zolmganv) Ponnji".

How about making a representation to the councillors (future corporators) of
the capital city of Goa to officially change the name of the city to PONNJI?

Jorge

> > --__--__--
> >
> > Message: 4
> > From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 2:44:15 -0500
> > Subject: [GOANET] Re: referendum for panjim
> >

> > Dear Goan Brothers & Sisters,
> >
> > This "PANAJI" sounds more like "BHAJI".  Maybe it's time for all Goans
> > to write to their MLA's that "PANAJI" should be cast to the rubbish bin
> > for the original and beautiful sounding name we always had and remember
> > about - PANJIM.
> >
> > Let us all strive to keep all these "JI'S" sounding names out of
> > GOA.  If not GOA may soon be called 'GOAJI".  Now you know what that
> > means.  The death of GOA!!
> >
> > VIVA GOA! VIVA THE INDEPENDENCE OF GOA!!
> >
> > GOA FOR GOANS FIRST.
> >
> > Ivor (Samora).
>
> WANT TO check out which mailing lists you could subscribe to? Send a blank
email message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]