Documented by Goa Desc Documentation Service
& circulated by Goa Civic & Consumer Action Network
(GOA CAN)<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ph:2252660
------------------------------------
HELMET CONTROVERSY
------------------------------------
They are at it again. Goa is one of the most literates states in India,
and the two-wheeler users are very aware of the pros and cons
of wearing crash helmets. It is obvious that the doctors and the
police who are making a hu-ha about this are generally not
two-wheeler drivers themselves.

In passing, it may be said that abroad there is civic sense,
traffic discipline, and helmets when left unattended are seldom
stolen which is not the case in India.

Let me make it clear. I myself always wear a helmet while
driving a two-wheeler. However, helmets do not prevent accidents!

I have been futilely trying for the last six years to get the traffic
authorities to prevent accidents by maintaining proper roads,
and lighting, No Parking/traffic sign-boards and implementing it,
relocating dangerous bus stops, hoardings; making public transport
buses stop at designated stops; enforcing rules regarding
blind headlights at night etc.

Towards this end I have personally handed to the IGP
for the umpteenth time on 16 October, 2002, a letter on traffic
hazards/safety with a copy to the Chief Minister, with Xerox copies
of their own traffic cells' recommendations and notifications.

Sorry to state, I have seen no improvement or any action initiated
towards the basics for reducing accidents, which should be accorded
far more priority than helmets!

John Eric Gomes
Porvorim
Letter to the editor in
GOMANTAK TIMES  3/01/03 page 4

GOA DESC RESOURCE CENTRE
Documentation + Education + Solidarity
11 Liberty Apts., Feira Alta, Mapusa, Goa 403 507
Tel: 2252660 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      website: www.goadesc.org
Working On Issues Of Development & Democracy