Government of Goa,
Department of Information and Publicity,
Panaji-Goa.

NEWS BULLETIN

CONTINUE TO WORK FOR GOA'S PROGRESS  - GOVERNOR TELLS PEOPLE

Panaji: January 26, 2003.

Governor of Goa, Mr Kidar Nath Sahani has appealed to the people of
 Goa to continue their support and cooperation to make Goa a
 foremost and a model State in the Country in every respect.

Governor was speaking as Chief Guest at the State level Republic Day
 function held at Parade Grounds, Campal, Panaji in the
 distinguished presence of Chief Minister, Mr Manohar Parrikar, Ms.
 Vimal Sahani, Union MOS for Civil Aviation, Mr Shripad Naik, Health
 Minister, Dr. Suresh Amonkar, Industries Minister, Mr Ramarao
 Dessai, Agriculture Minister Mr Dayanand Mandrekar, Transport
 Minister, Mr Pandurang Madkaikar, Town & Country Planning Minister,
 Mr Atanasio Monserrate, Leader of Opposition, Mr Pratapsingh Rane,
 Chairperson of Sanjay School, Ms Vijayadevi Rane and other
 dignitaries.

          Speaking further, the Governor paid tributes to the
 freedom fighters and martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the
 freedom of the country.

Governor said, the country has achieved phenomenal progress in every
 field, be it in science, technology, agriculture, industry,
 medicine, education or defence.  The quality of life of the people
 has improved, he added.

The Governor said, country's genuine commitments and contribution to
 world peace and order has been acknowledged universally.  However,
 we should not remain complacent, he said and called upon people to
 work with greater sense of patriotism, unity and vision to
 transform India into a great power and rededicate themselves in the
 task of speeding up further the process of national reconstruction.

He said, the people in the country have always maintained the
 fundamental unity in diviersity.  Our spiritual, moral ethical and
 human values, and our catholicity of outlook, continue to inspire
 and influence the world community.  We must live up to this
 age-old and time-honoured tradition.  We must promote spirit of
 oneness.  Friendship, amity and goodwill must prevail among all
 religious communities, so that we can live a life worth living, he
 added.

The Governor lauded the traditional peace and communal harmony in
 Goa, which has helped in achieving the level of progress at which
 the State today stand.  Goa continues to serve as an example for
 other States in this regard.  He said, Goa has made spectacular
 achievements since its liberation in areas  like literacy,
 per-capita income, creditable birth and death ratios, and extensive
 network of public health centres, schools, colleges, banks and
 other financial institutions.  Goa is among the very best States in
 social, financial and health  indicators.  Revenue generation went
 up by 30 percent last year, and during this fiscal year too, the
 figures are expected to be good.  Goa is one of those States that
 have not defaulted on financial obligations.  Goa has good network
 of roads and industries, he added.

The Governor said, Goa, today can be described as an "Intelligent
 State" in the making.  With its educated manpower, the State always
 had the potential to attract high-value and
 service-related and non-polluting industries.  Efforts are afoot to
 lay a strong foundation for creating a new computer-savvy manpower,
 and ready to take on the challenges ahead in IT sector,  Efforts
 are to take the State to new heights in IT sector.

The Governor said in the interest o all-round development of the
 State, the Government will soon be releasing an Information
 Technology Policy, an Industrial Policy and an Employment Policy.
 All these steps will support a more broad-based vision of the
 State, and such a vision document will give an insight into the
 long-term development strategy of the State.

The Governor said,  tourism is an important sector of Goa's economy,
 also a major source of direct and indirect  employment. The
 response received by the State from tourist on the last New Year's
 eve is a happy reminder of the fact that the State enjoys a special
 place among tourists across the country and the world.  We have to
 maintain this reputation.  We should provide better civic
 amenities.  There is need to promote cultural tourism.  Goa has a
 rich cultural heritage which needs to be properly showcased.

He expressed concern over the unemployment problem in Goa and said
 we should change the mindset of the people, particularly the
 younger generation to give dignity of labour.  Along with
 unemployment, other social problems such as alcoholism, drug
 addiction, and the like also need to be removed from society.

Earlier the Governor unfurled the national flag, inspected the
 parade and took the salute.

Contingents drawn from INS Han