Dear all,

All the cynicism I have about NASA's space travel program (military payloads,
colonization of
space, a luxury for science when other human issues are far more pressing) was set
aside (at least
temporarily) when Kalpana Chawla, Ph.d., spoke at the Indo-American Seniors Center
function at
Santa Clara University a few years ago.  She was inspiring, unassuming, untouched by
fame, truly a
heroine. I asked Ms. Chawla if I had a child (I was unmarried then) I would wish her
to tell my
child that one can aspire to and become anything in life using her own life as an
example.  She
said space was more than opportunity, it was fun.  And she went on to add, that she
would look
down from space to see India and find no boundaries.  When she returned to earth, she
noticed how
so many boundaries surfaced.  I suspect she has told that story many times to many
people.  It is
worth remembering now, as she has returned to eternity in this tragic loss of the
space shuttle.

See bio at http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/chawla.html

Regards,
George