Hello,

I am a Barreto descendant from Barreto's of Goa and Bombay.  I am
interested in learning more of Barreto family history. I would appreciate
any information especially on early Barreto history.

Our origins are said to be Goa.  At some point the family settled in
Bombay.  Later, it transferred to Calcutta.

The earliest ancestor that we know of is Antonio Lourenco Barreto who
 lived in Bombay and must have been born around 1680.  We don't know
 where he was born.  He married Pascoa de Souza, a sister, apparently, of
 Sir Miguel de Lima e Souza.

Since I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, I do not have any ready
 access to any primary sources of information.  Also, the earlier
 generations of my family that may have supplied information are all
 gone.

I was wondering if family histories have been written and kept at some
libraries or archives in Goa that one could access?  I know the
 Portuguese are well known for keeping records of everything.

Maybe you can help me on a vexing matter.  I was trying to contact
 through e-mail Barreto High School in Dr. Viegas St., Cavel, Bombay, but
 had no success.  Barreto High School was founded in 1783 by my ancestor,
 John Barretto, on his property in Cavel.

I wanted to see if there are any present-day residents that may know of
Barretto family
history.  Do you think you might be able to secure for me a correct
 e-mail address for the school so I might write to them again.

I hope to hear from you again.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
William Smyth

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]