In the days of old sailing ships the captain of the Seahawk went
out on deck to get some fresh air, when from above a cry came
down from the crow's nest: "Enemy ship off the port bow!"

The captain said to the ensign standing next to him, "Get me my
red shirt." A battle ensued and the Seahawk prevailed.

Two weeks later the captain was again on deck when another cry
came from the crow's nest, "Two enemy ships off the starboard
bow!" The captain again says to the ensign, "Get me my red
shirt."

After the battle was won the ensign asked the captain why he
tells him to get his red shirt. The captain said that if he is
wounded and the blood begins to flow the crew will not see that
he was injured and keep on fighting.

The crew overheard this and was proud to have such a brave
captain leading them. A week later another cry came from the
crow's nest, "TEN enemy ships approaching!"

The captain said to his ensign, "Get me my brown pants!"