OPINION POLL ANNIVERSARY IN GOA.

On 16th of last month at Loia Maidan Margao I attended the meeting and rally organized to mark the “Osmitai Dis” (Day of Identity). It was the day of “Opinion Poll”. Since this year is dedicated to “Shennoi Goembab” who was the great lover and protagonist of Konkani, the organizers combined Opinion Poll Day with Shennoi Goembab. Before the start of the meeting people gathered at Loiya Maidan and organized a rally in the city and converged again at Loia Maidan for the meeting. The meeting was chaired by Dr. (Mrs.) Couto and addressed by her, Pundalik Naik, Adv. Udai Bhemro, MLA Mrs. Victoria Fernandes, MLA Mathaney Saldanha and Minister for Electricity. The proceedings were compeered by Prashant Naik. After the meeting a small cultural programme was organized in which Ullas Buyao and his troupe rendered old songs, which awakened and excited the Goan masses to fight against the mergerists. Tiatrists C. D’Silva and Luciano Dias rendered two songs accompanied by musical score provided by Josinho and his associates.

Mrs. Victoria Fernandes in her speech highlighted her contribution and part that she played during those critical days preceding Opinion Poll. While concluding her speech she pleaded with writers and journalists to write a full account of Opinion Poll History for the benefit of posterity. Pundalik Naik hit hard at those who try to downgrade Konkani and Adv. Bhembro disclosed in details the events taken place during those memorable days. Mathanay Saldanha spoke in a reconciliatory tone and asked everyone to forget the past animosity and work for the development of Goa.

Konkani Language movement and Opinion Poll campaign have created lot of politicians and political stalwarts but none of them attended this meeting. Some of the leaders and politicians owe so much to Konkani and Opinion Poll. If Opinion Poll was not won by Two Leaves meaning anti-mergerists then I am sure none of the current MLAs and Ministers would be what they are now. Even that rascal and Goem/Konkani “Chor” Dayananda Bandodkar – the first Chief Minister of Goa would not be the Chief Minister of Goa. The most he would be the best obedient slave of Maharastra and may be out of frustration he like Judas would commit suicide. If Goa had to merge with Maharastra there would not be a Legislative Assembly at Panaji, no MLAs, no Ministers, everything would come under the jurisdiction of Maharastra and at the most Goa would be treated just like one district of Maharastra. Regretably, with the exception of C. D’Silva and Luciano Dias because they were taking part in the cultural part, none of the well known tiatirsts attended this meeting even though the invitation was open for all. It is a pity that many of the current tiatrists are not known to show patriotic feelings towards the language thru which they are earning their sustenance. Gone were the days when our yesteryears tiatrists made “pooja” of Konkani Mae-bhas.

Mrs. Victoria gained lot of prominence because of her involvement in Opinion Poll campaign and rightly she attended the meeting no doubt occupying the chair at the dais but others could have attended even as observers if not invited by the organizers to seat at the dais. Mathanay Saldanha during the time of Opinion Poll was a small boy and his contribution I don’t think of any consequences but what I noticed in him now was that he is not a firebrand as he was earlier. He looks proud as if he is come from “Sorgar”. I hope he realizes his MLAship is only a temporary phase. If he does not change his attitude then he will create a way for Mauwin Godinho again to loot Goa and destroy Sankvalle with the help of Birlas. I know him personally well, we both interacted during the language agitation, he was at that time along with Christopher Fonseca staying at Jesuit House Panjim and we used to meet and discuss there so many topics concerning Goa and Konkani. He was at that time very humble and amicable but these characteristics are not visible in him now. According to information he not even supporting anti-Birla agitation campaigning against Birla lording over Sankvalle. Very shortly Oil Tanks from Vasco would be shifted to Sankvalle thereby putting the lives of Sankvallkars into danger.

It was very pathetic that during the meeting nobody remembered the great and magnificent work the late Dr. Jack Sequeira did for and during the Opinion Poll. In fact instead of Shennoi Goembab it should have been Dr. Jack Sequeira. I don’t know why on Opinion Poll Day Shennoi Goembab was made a hero. This does not mean that I want to suppress the excellent work Shennoi Goembab did in the service of Konkani but neither I agree to suppress the memory of Dr. Jack Sequeira who worked so hard tirelessly. It was he who was instrumental in getting Opinion Poll. I have observed one thing that very many of our own Konknni protagonists are very much discriminating against us. We the Konknni Romivadis are suffering persecution partly from many Nagrivadis and fully from illegitimate Goan Marathivadis. I feel there is a conspiracy hatched by some Nagrivadi Goans to sidestep the good work done by Romivadis. The fruit of Konkani language agitation in which 6 Romi Konknni sons of Goa suffered martyrdom is fabulously enjoyed by Nagrivadis. Romivadis are made just like tools and on top of it they are humiliated. The way I mixed up with Konkani Nagrivadis very few Romivadis mixed up and thru my personal interaction with many of them I realized that our worst enemies are our own so called brothers from Nagri Konknni who kept full control of Konkani in their own hands. This may be one of the reasons why Dr. Jack Sequeira’s memory sidestepped or is it an anti-Christian campaign by few ugly communal faces in Nagri circle? The work Dr. Jack Sequeira did for the protection of Goa as separate entity none of the persons seating that day at the dais did. I hail the contribution of Dr. Jack Sequeira for the victory of Opinion Poll.

A.Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.