Hi Miguel,

  I'm not sure how your email got to me, but I have to reply..

  While you may have your statistics, it still doesn't detract from the fact that helmets save lives. This is a foregone conclusion, proven the world over, so let's not go backward. I'm a doc & I should know. I've seen enough head injuries that would have been alive had they been wearing a helmet. All the measures you suggest are laudable, but they will take time. They should definitely be implemented, but in the meantime, let's start wearing helmets. And yes, all 4-wheeler drivers should compulsorily wear seat belts. Another life-saver.

                                     Luis

 Miguel Braganza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Mervyn,
Physics and biology are not arithmetic.If a slow moving truck rolls over a
stationary motorbike,the rider and piliion would be as dead as a dodo.It is
no consolation to them if their heads are intact.They may look pretty in the
coffin.That's no use to the owner of that intact head.
Traffic discipline--right of way,speed limit,traffic lights,one way
streets,overtaking on the left,drunken driving,doped driving,juvenile
riders/drivers--- is what needs attention.Just good roads,good laws and good
cops wont do. Each one must do his or her part. See the police
statistics...71% accidents due to rash driving,61% accidents on straight!
roads(41% of them on highways that constitute only5% of the road length in
Goa.).It's no joke.
No vehicle should be hired to an unlicenced driver/rider.
No child below 18 years of age should be allowed to register a geared
vehicle in his/her name.Hirers and parents who help violate the law should
be prosecuted as abettors to the crime.The statistics of accidents will
nosedive to single digits in a year. Any takers.
Miguel