Tariq may think otherwise but India has for a long time - post-Cold War - had an
independent foreign policy. Let us not forget that France is opposed to the war
on Iraq not because of any great principles, but because of oil concessions its
companies have obtained, which a post-Saddam Government is unlikely to honor.
You may also be aware that India has opposed the proposed war in unequivocal
terms, and I would not be surprised if ultimately the French went along with the
US. In any case, France's and even UK's permanent membership of the Security
Council seems more and more anachronistic. Japan, Germany, India, Brazil and
either Nigeria or South Africa have infinitely better credentials. Not that
credentials are relevant or how else can you explain Taiwan holding China's seat
for 22 years!

Shakti

                      Tariq Siddiqui

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      EDU>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [GOANET] Interesting
NYTimes article about France & India.
                      goanet-admin@goa

                      com.com

                      02/10/2003 04:10