I applaud Fred's article on 10 lessons from a Goan classroom.

The Goa School Computers Project (GSCP), which started as an ad-hoc effort
at its peak had a presence in over a 100 schools in the form of donated
hardware. Today it has an active  presence in about 20 schools in the form
of teacher training, collaborative school projects, etc. Recently it was
highlighted by a World Bank report as an international best practice in the
use of the low-cost opensource solution. However,without belittling anyone's
contribution, I must point out that what made it go from 5-6 schools helped
by several individuals to dozens of schools was more an organized
Non-Resident Goan funded professional NGO approach, and less of an ad-hoc
volunteer driven effort as might be concluded from the article below. I
write this to dispel any notions that a quick donation of cash or donated
equipment or the occasional visit to a school is all it takes.

Since 1999 till 2003, funds for GSCP operations were generously provided by
Goa Sudharop (GS) in the US, and office support by the GS manager in Goa,
Mario Mascarenhas. The project usually had full-time paid coordinator.
Project coordination and oversight were provided on an expense-reimbursable
basis by Ashley Delaney in Goa and me in the US. Without a co-ordination
mechanism involving a paid staff, volunteers, the department of education
and schools, all ad-hoc efforts would have been disjointed and quite
frankly, totally inadequate given the scale of our undertaking.

The project has now come of age as a locally registered Trust, Knowledge
Initiative Trust (KIT). It is now independent of oversight by a US
organization, and is seeking avenues to fund itself as well as to build a
broad-based coalition as Fred suggests. I urge all individuals and
organizations interested in IT in schools to visit the site listed below and
contact KIT to co-ordinate their actions.

While I have no argument with the govt effort to provide computers to
individual students, few schools have more than 10 computers (a PC to
student ratio of 1:3), and the government simply does not have the resources
to provide thousands of PC's to both schools and individual students AND
maintain them AND train teachers to get the most out of them AND provide
Internet access. In my opinion, enlightened school management and continued
local community financing will be necessary.

PTA's simply have to get involved otherwise as Fred pointed out inertia of
school managements and an unimaginative syllabus will result in computers
continuing to be be used as glorified typewriters. PTA's have to pressure
their managements to reach out to organizations like KIT to train their
teachers in computers assisted teaching, to open the facilities to
communities after school hours to generate revenue to maintian the
equipment. If parents don't get involved, their kids will fall even further
behind those from the more englightened city schools like Sharda Mandir or
Rosary.

What is now needed is less ad-hoc-ism, and more professionally guided
coordinated action to scale up GSCP's best practices.

Sincerely,

Daryl Martyris
Trustee
Knowledge Initiative Trust
www.gscp.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s. I'd be curious to know how many on this list remember Marlon Menezes'
annual GSCP on-line raffles, and if there is any interest in reviving it.
Please write back to me if you supported the raffle in the past, and would
support it if we had one again.

> Message: 17
> From: "Eddie Fernandes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:35:44 -0000
> Subject: [Goanet]Ten lessons from a Goan classroom: FN: Express Computers.
>
> Headline: Ten lessons from a Goan classroom
> By Frederick Noronha
> Source Express Computers,  1 March 2004 at
> http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20040301/indiacomputes02.shtml

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #