It's strange that a paper like Herald would encourage
a biased as well as lopsided views from Aires
Rodrigues in his piece, Poll Day Predictions,
distributed over goanet as The Election Scenario.
His predictions are no different from those of a
common man. Sripad Naik maybe Aires's friend and
fellow Ribandarite but his re-election is taken for
granted as the grand old doctor, Wilfred de Souza, who
Aires calls "grandfather of all political defections
in Goa", is the dark horse in this predominantly Hindu
constituency.
His other prediction that Ramakant Angle will  "likely
edge Churchill Alemao" is also a general assumption
because of past record. But an upset with Churchill
winning it as he did against Eduardo Faleira is every
much possible.
He attacks the BJP as "communal and fundamentalist", a
party which, I am told, Aires supported initially.
What brought his change of heart is unknown to me. His
dislike for the BJP runs contradictory to his support
to Naik.
True, Willy has played a deadly game for his
self-interests. So has Aires in the past when he would
go to great length in showing his loyalty to Churchill
Alemao. As they say in politics, nothing is steady or
permanent, Aires has moved away from Churchill's
circle and I presume is now Churchill worst enemy.
The political compulsions has brought old enemies like
Luizinho Faleiro, Francisco Sardinha and Churchill
together. Just few years ago, Faleiro and Sardinha
were spewing hatred against Churchill. It shows
political vacuum in south Goa that the Congress and
the NCP had to settle for Churchill, a defeated
candidate in the last parliamentary elections. The
UGDP has thrown Auda Viegas, sister of Anacleto
Viegas, president of UGDP, into the ring. Some
political observers hope that Auda being a municipal
councillor and a woman could make it a three-horse
race. To me, it would rather be a three-ring circus.
At least Rajan Narayan thinks that the UGDP has been
bribed by the BJP to field a candidate in order to
split the Catholic vote and make it easier for Angle
to squeeze through. If the BJP has managed to
influence the UGDP as the Goan Observer believes, it
is to their credit of their political strategy. After
all, elections, like war, depends on using strategic
methods to win.
Aires also mentions that Pratapsing Rane is under the
BJP's "remote control". This again, speaks volumes of
BJP's manipulative techniques.
Aires blames Willy of having "I-Me-Myself" syndrome.
In a piece that seeks to talk about the parliamentary
elections, Aires has let himself be part of the
story/analysis. He has harped on his role as a student
leader before and he has done it again.
The piece is not singularly devoted to analysis of the
parliamentary elections but touches upon other issues
like the police appointments, IFFI, equality of law
and his own personal dilemma in who to vote.
The salient feature is Aires's dilemma of who to vote
-- fellow lawyer Sameer Bandodkar, who was student
leader, and a Shiv Sena candidate or Sripad Naik,
fellow villager and friend. He feels a bottle of beer
who help him make a decision. How ridiculous. One need
to be sober to make a good judgment. No wonder Goans
seem to vote after consuming liquor and end up voting
for "wrong" or "unworthy" candidates. I hope voters
don't take the route Aires's has suggested for
himself.
It's a megroll (kichiddi). The journalism field needs
serious political analysts and commentators instead of
leaving it to someone like Aires to air his views. He
could be consigned to the "letters to the editor"
section, where he is a frequent contributor.
The article could have been best headlined, Aires's
Predictions, Predilections and Predicament.

Eugene Correia