Eugene Correia, piece:-

> He attacks the BJP as "communal and fundamentalist", a
> party which, I am told, Aires supported initially.
> What brought his change of heart is unknown to me. His
> dislike for the BJP runs contradictory to his support
> to Naik.

I believe Aires has denied this charge and Minguel Braganza, not so long ago
had to take back a similar attack, which Aires did parry. An apology was
then given. So far nobody has come back, to categorically state tha Aires
was a one time BJP fiddle player.

> True, Willy has played a deadly game for his
> self-interests. So has Aires in the past when he would
> go to great length in showing his loyalty to Churchill
> Alemao. As they say in politics, nothing is steady or
> permanent, Aires has moved away from Churchill's
> circle and I presume is now Churchill worst enemy.

The
> UGDP has thrown Auda Viegas, sister of Anacleto
> Viegas, president of UGDP, into the ring. Some
> political observers hope that Auda being a municipal
> councillor and a woman could make it a three-horse
> race. To me, it would rather be a three-ring circus.
> At least Rajan Narayan thinks that the UGDP has been
> bribed by the BJP to field a candidate in order to
> split the Catholic vote and make it easier for Angle
> to squeeze through. If the BJP has managed to
> influence the UGDP as the Goan Observer believes, it
> is to their credit of their political strategy. After
> all, elections, like war, depends on using strategic
> methods to win.

RESPONSE:
If this is the case then I wouldn't conclude that the BJP are savvy, rather
that the Catholic faction is naive.

> Aires blames Willy of having "I-Me-Myself" syndrome.
> In a piece that seeks to talk about the parliamentary
> elections, Aires has let himself be part of the
> story/analysis. He has harped on his role as a student
> leader before and he has done it again.
> The piece is not singularly devoted to analysis of the
> parliamentary elections but touches upon other issues
> like the police appointments, IFFI, equality of law
> and his own personal dilemma in who to vote.
> The salient feature is Aires's dilemma of who to vote
> -- fellow lawyer Sameer Bandodkar, who was student
> leader, and a Shiv Sena candidate or Sripad Naik,
> fellow villager and friend. He feels a bottle of beer
> who help him make a decision. How ridiculous. One need
> to be sober to make a good judgment.

RESPONSE:

A cold bottle of Stella certainly helps, Heineken it is claimed reaches the
parts that others can't, not so sure about the Goa brewed beers though.

 No wonder Goans
> seem to vote after consuming liquor and end up voting
> for "wrong" or "unworthy" candidates. I hope voters
> don't take the route Aires's has suggested for
> himself.

RESPONSE:

I agree and that is why in the past people were bribed by being offered a
few 'kals' of the finest bootleg feni.

> It's a megroll (kichiddi). The journalism field needs
> serious political analysts and commentators instead of
> leaving it to someone like Aires to air his views. He
> could be consigned to the "letters to the editor"
> section, where he is a frequent contributor.
> The article could have been best headlined, Aires's
> Predictions, Predilections and Predicament.
>
> Eugene Correia

RESPONSE:

The Heraldo and Aires might just be trying to shake people into voting
against the BJP, They might yet succeed, we shall see.

cheers,

Gabe.

# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #