# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

----- Forwarded message from renebarreto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:09:35 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

A write up that appeared on Navhind Times in Goa August 2003.

WORLD GOA DAY  2003

Suffused in a mix of love and nostalgia, Goans across the globe are
gearing up to celebrate World Goa Day on August 21. The date marks the
inclusion of Konkani in the 8th Schedule of the Indian Constitution by both
houses of Parliament in 1992. While talk of the event in Goa seems muted, a
virtual fever is building up in cyberspace among the Goan communities now
thriving in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia,
Portugal, Spain, Kenya, Tanzania and some countries of the Middle East.
Writing in the official website of World Goa Day, Mr Rene Barreto, convenor
of the event, says, "on Goa day this year, thousands of Goans will once
again remind themselves of the need to work to preserve our culture, music,
history, language, cuisine, and art for our children, the non-Goan community
 and for posterity." "The theme of "Giving back to Goa" is a good way to
inspire our Goan community to do more for Goa and Goans worldwide," writes
the London-based Mr Barreto. "Let Goa day be a beacon of light and
inspiration throughout the year and for the rest of our lives. Let us make
this our motto: "Proud to be a Goan," and live up to that motto." Messages
of support and solidarity have been crowding Mr Barreto's email inbox. An
email by Mr Keith Vaz, British Member of Parliament states: "As someone of
Goan descent I send my very best wishes for a most successful World Goa Day.
This is obviously a crucial step forward in recognising the unique
contribution of the Goan community to the life not just of India but also
other countries where they have chosen to make their homes. Goa is known the
world over for its civility, hospitality and diversity. It is one of the
most glorious places on earth. I send my very best wishes for a successful
day." Hoping to enthuse more among the Goan diaspora, Mr Barreto has posted
some of these messages onto the popular mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mr
Oscar Furtado, of G.O.A, Toronto, sees this as an opportunity to celebrate
the values the Goan community possesses and also to share these values with
the various communities around the world. Writes Mr Cristopher Nunes,
President, Goan Association of New Jersey, Inc. "As this year's theme for
World Goa day is 'Giving something back' to society, I am proud to say that
the association and individual members continue to donate funds to projects
in Goa and help other less fortunate Goans." Mr Oscar C Lobo, from Melbourne
 Australia urges Goans everywhere to shun the caste system and Mr John Paul
Kihara of the Goan Community of Mombasa, Kenya, warmly invites all Goans and
non-Goans to their special Goan festival in September. There is even a
congratulatory message from a Briton, Mr Paul Hancock. There are some
dissonant notes too. Writing in Roman script Konkani, one Mr Simon Mendonca
laments that though Goans proudly proclaim their Goan-ness, they are ashamed
to talk in Konkani. The bouquets and brickbats apart, Mr Rene Barreto
affirms that on August 20, "Goans world-wide join in solidarity to celebrate
our Goan-ness." In Goa, World Goa Day is planned for August 24. Among other
things, the celebrations will include a stage production by Professor Isabel
Santa Rita Vas. Elsewhere in the world, Goan organisations have planned
activities for the entire months of August, September or October 2003.
Details are listed on www.goaday.com. There are games, picnics, dinners and
dances, cultural shows and cooking demos, even Masses and healing services
planned by Goan communities in places like Toronto, Montreal, Calgary
(Canada), New Jersey, California, Houston (USA), London (UK) and Nairobi and
Mombasa in Kenya. The list of celebrations is big, the activities diverse
and the places, far-flung. The common denominator is Goa. Music naturally
becomes part of the celebrations. Mr Basilio Magno, a Goan from Spain, had
composed a special song, "Proud to be a Goan," for the first World Goa Day
in 2000. This year, the song has been re-arranged by Mr Emiliano da Cruz and
sung by Lulu, one of Goa's top singers

Other pages that you might like to visit: http://www.goaday.com/supporters
php

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

----- End forwarded message -----