# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #

Bosco D'Mello   Oct 16 23:43:16 2004 boroita

# 1: I don't believe anybody in the Govt of India, the State Govt or anywhere else gives "a hoot" about what the airport was identified for pre-1961

#2 : why has there been "no avenue until recently" to make a case for a discussion ??

# 3: Armed forces officers are ultimately under the command of political officers/ministers.

# 4: Goa has always had a State Government and MPs in Delhi.

Why have the dozen-or-so CMs not pushed the case ***strongly enough*** in the past ??

# 5: Coming back to WHY.....why is there so much noise about the airport NOW ?? Is it because of the plan to build an airport in MOPA ??

============= JC reply

wrt # 1 : I agree about the "hoot" part. For Bosco's information however, Gabriel's posting of pre-1961 Dabolim being "civilian vs military" came ONLY AFTER Gabriel was asked (April 1, 2001) the following:

"Yes! You can have your Dabolim airport free of the Navy - I wonder if you ever raised such a demand to free it from the Portuguese?"

wrt # 2 : I hope you understand that it is very DIFFICULT to have a DISCUSSION if one party REFUSES to meet with the other.

wrt # 3 : Wake up Mr. D'Mello and smell the coffee of reality. Remember this from me :-> Politicians will NEVER touch something (esp relating to the Armed Forces) that will NOT bring them direct benefit in return.

wrt # 4 : The premise that Goa has always (after 1961, I assume) had a STATE Government, is incorrect.

Goa was accorded Statehood ONLY after the United Goans desbanded & decided to join the Indian Congress Party. Goan CMs had as much power as the Centre would give them.

No wonder - all had to be "discussed" with "The High Command". Trust me, the High Command of a particular party can appoint and disappoint a Chief Minister with the same breath.

It is that kind of Democracy which exists in India.

wrt # 5 : MOPA ? you mean the airport which Goans will probably pay for, so that Maharashtra will benefit?

my guesss? MOPA will only happen IF Maharashtra, Goa and the Centre have the same political party in power. Or if there is some financial "arrangement".

Anyone who does not realize that frequent changes at short notice are made to Goa Flight Schedules because of Indian Navy orders, needs to be stranded at Mumbai Airport for a couple of days or more - coz the Flight to Goa on which he/she was booked LEFT a good 4 hours before what it was scheduled to leave (when the booking was confirmed)

"Your flight has departed for Goa, Sir. Since you paid in foreign currency Go to OTHER counter and check IF you get Stand by for tommorrow"

'BUT I got confirmation OK from Canada - See, it is right here'

'Confirmation, Binfirmation is fine, you missed the flight. There is no seat until 23rd ( 5 days ahead )

"Tsh Tsh, you want CONfirnassun? Next Goa Flight 2:30 bajje today afternoon only. Hanh Na! (head shaking ++ ) 100 dollars per tikit laggel"

'ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS per tikit?! This is a rip off MAN. I will write to the Indian High Commisioner in Toronto. Man, I will never come again to India ' 'I DEMAND to speak to the MANAGER'

"Hanh Hanh - jao Manager la bhetta. He gone for tea"

' WHEN will he come '

"After Tea - you wait here - Nahim toh - Sasta Hotel pahije?"

toodooloo

jc

please visit "NEW" on The Goan Forum at http://www.colaco.net

Recommended Goa related sites