April and May are very hot months in Goa. Come end of May the folks long for rain to soothe the parched earth. The farmers get ready to cultivate the paddy fields and expect rain by the first week of June. In the old days the rain was not forecast using weather satellites. The elders merely followed their sixth sense, instinct and past experience, and accurately forecasted the much awaited and longed-for first rains, judged by cloud conditions, colour of evening skies and wind directions, not forgetting to heed the cry of the rain-bird as it flew over the trees in the villages.
These are some of my childhood experiences.

THE FIRST RAINS

As evening fell
Patiently waiting while we prayed
Expecting the first rains
Brilliant rainbow arched across the sky;
Towards nightfall
While cattle and fowl turned homeward
The rain-bird flew eastward
Making its last call.

And finally when the showers fell
Thought our prayers were answered;
Bounced with joy in our hearts
Our thirsts quenched
We sang and played
Fully drenched:

        "Pausa, pausa, ieo, ieo,
         Tuka ditam poiso;
         Poiso zalo khotto,
         Paus eilo motto".

"Hope it rains some more"
So we wished
As little boats from paper we made
Saw them glide through winding streams
Just enough rain for the wells it seemed
To make them fill to their brims
And yearning and hoping to have fun
On the day of the Feast of St. John.

(The above is an excerpt from my book of poems and stories in "Goa - Memories of my Homeland"

Tony Fernandes
Author