Dear Godfrey,

This is an interesting History that seems to be a
revised version of Fr. Pratap Naik’s work which
appeared earlier.  But it is not an improvement.  And
it cannot be helped; if a research guide like Fr.
Pratap can falsify historical facts, how can we expect
anything better from his disciple and that too a
novice amateur?

Still may one inquire about the basis for the
statement: “The Portuguese lent credence to merit by
worth not like this section of Hindu Brahmins who
believe merit by one’s birth not worth.”  Everyone
knows that during the Portuguese rule the only
considerations were Caste and Religion in that order.
Try and prove me wrong by citing just one case of a
“lower caste” person who occupied any government
position during the four and a half centuries of that
rule.  Leave aside the government, the Roman Catholic
Church was even worse.  Would it have been possible
for Cardinal Gracias to have been even consecrated as
an Auxiliary Bishop had he been in Goa?   Was “merit
by worth” the exclusive right of a particular caste?
Who is this “Sebastião ANDRE Dalgado” (see at
25-03-04) after whom the DKA is named?  Did he publish
a single book in Roman script Konkani so that his name
could adorn an academy seeking justice for Roman
script Konkani?  The only Dalgado connected with
Konkani that I know about was christened “Sebastião
RODOLPHO Dalgado” whom you have mentioned in your
para#5.  But all his books are in Portuguese.  He
translated Sanskrit classics and also made linguistic
studies on Indo-Portuguese and Luso-Asiatic dialects.
He also compiled  two bilingual dictionaries and an
anthology of Konkani proverbs.  These books were also
in Portuguese.  He too did not write a singled book of
Konkani prose or poetry.  But he did very clearly and
unambiguously declare that Devanagari, and not Roman,
is the correct script for Konkani.  Therefore, his
name would have been the last that could have been
selected for an outfit that is clamouring from the
house tops that Roman script is the best suited for
Konkani.  Perhaps this “Sebastião ANDRE Dalgado” fits
the bill.  But what was he?  What did he do to merit
this honour?

I hope to have clear answers to these questions.
Another of my questions – the meaning of  “(Naik not
Nayak)” –   is still begging for an answer.  I shall
be grateful if any reader, who understands this, could
satisfy my curiosity.

S. M. Borges

--- godfrey gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>