|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |

         An UNIQUE WORLD GOAN event .

               the WORLD GOA DAY

an event that has made its way to all the four corners of the
WORLD .....in its SIX years of its existence , the event has
brought Goans from all walks of life .. TOGETHER and continues
to do so.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

88888888888888888888888888888888
WORLD GOA DAY in Lisbon, Portugal.
88888888888888888888888888888888

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The WORLD GOA DAY celebrations , the second phase of events
in Lisbon - were put together in a beautiful manner , the venues chosen
for the  various events were some of the finest in Lisbon , .Maria and myself were there to enjoy the three days of these great Goan celebrations

The members of the organizing committee - of the FIVE Goan Associations
that participated ,co operated in a very meaningful manner and made
these occasions very enjoyable. Thanks to our WORLD GOA DAY Coordinator Eng. Leao Fernandes and his TEAM.

 Five Goan organizations coming TOGETHER is a significant achievement !

Here - I would like to congratulate  the efforts of a great
contributor to the ideas of WORLD GOA DAY , Constantino Xavier.
Constantino , was instrumental in bringing ALL the Goan Associations
in Lisbon  * Together * four years ago .. it is now called

* The ALLIANCE OF GOAN ASSOCIATION of Lisbon *

The Goans in Portugal often give us the impression
that they are more Goans , yet blend well with the Portuguese.
They sing Goan songs, dance all the Goan dances
speak in Konkani  ....  eat and drink the Goan
way !They even sing *HAPPY BIRTHDAY * in Konkani !

During these celebrations , we had the pleasure of meeting some
very important Goan personalities  and not so important too.
One of the important figures we met - was Abilio Fernandes,
for several decades president of Évora Municipality and since
last year he represents the Communist Party of Portugal in the
Parliament.

Earlier, we had the privilege of meeting the Presidents and
committee members of the five Goan associations, ie
Prof. Narana Coissoro , Prof. Domingos Xavier Viegas ,
Prof. Valentino Viegas, Mr Olavo Rodrigues, Fr António Colimão ,
Jorge de Abreu Noronha , Mario Cirilo Viegas , Dr. Carlos Vilar
and many others

We also met up with our old friends Prof. Teotónio R. de Souza -
who made the time to be with us ,  Maria Virginia  Gomes ,
who was  instrumental in organizing meetings with some of
the influential  people in Lisbon and also spent some time to
be with us.

The WORLD GOA DAY was officially celebrated on the
20th August 2005  , not satisfied with a day of celebration ,
they continued with their second phase on the 16th , 17th
and 18th September 2005.

The second phase of events took place as follows :

Friday, 16th September 2005:

19:00 - Goa in Images: a cinema night - Main Auditorium of the
National Archives of Portugal - A beautiful Auditorium with a large
seating capacity and modern fittings , a great place to have a night
at the cinema,  There was a size able attendance and entry was free

An image speaks for a thousand words. On this night, a classic
of the goan cinema was presented (in Konkani) to remember animatedly
the old times, followed by a set of recent documentaries to think and
to debate the Goa of the modern times.

The first of the two films was about the life of Pe. Agnelo de Sousa.
The second film was about Abbe Faria, produced by Isabel Santa Rita
Vaz and Cecil Pinto. Quite a number of people were present for the
show.

Saturday, 17th September 2005:

21:00 - Session of music, songs and dance -
Auditorium of St. João de Brito High School, Lumiar,
Lisbon with the performance of the musical groups Ekvât and Suryá,
and young individual talents.

It was a show that every one seems to have enjoyed and appreciate.
It was well attended and the  auditorium was a pleasure to be in.

Sunday, 18th. September 2005:
Location: Casa de Goa (Lisboa)

10:00 - Traditional Goan games Coordination by Dr. Carlos Vilar
Games like (  Nage , Gilli dando ,Carrom , bee be etc., etc., )

13:00 - Goan Snacks -picnic at Casa de Goa

Here - They showed us .. what we GOANS are made up of ......
...as they joined us in the last day of the WORLD GOA DAY
celebrations.  The setting at Casa de Goa ...was just superb
and the food  was as Goan as can be.

15:30 - Conferences on: "Goa, Damão and Diu: New Perspectives"

Panel 1: "History of Goa: how we see it, how it is seen"
Panel 2: "Portugal and India: economic links through Goa,
Damão and Diu "

The conference was well attended and drew a lively debate.
At the conclusion , I was asked to address the conference , but not having
prepared myself in Portuguese : - )  I decided to address the gathering in
English. I began by saying that - I was not a man of * words * but more
a man of * action * and that I would speak from my heart ! and I did.

The conference was concluded by the WGD Organizing Coordinator -
Lisbon Eng. Leao Fernandes ....

Our thanks go to our host -  Eng. Leao Fernandes and his
charming wife,  Thelma  and to all those who made our stay in
Lisbon a  memorable one.

rene barreto
Coordinator ,
WORLD GOA DAY 2005
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

WORLD GOA DAY - LISBON was put together by
The coordinator , Leao Fernandes of the
The Alliance of Goan Associations in Portugal
in association with The Alliance of WORLD GOAN
ORGANIZATIONS.

For more details : Please visit the Goaday Portugal

Watch this space for some further announcements of bringing GOANS TOGETHER !

                                              Katore re Baji !

|          1st Young Goans International Essay contest 2005              |
|                   Theme: WHAT CAN I DO FOR GOA                         |
|                         More details at                                |
|  http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/034190.html    |