|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
VM de Malars anguish about the inaction in Goa is probably shared by
all Goans who can see the pathetic state of affairs in our lovely
state.  Here are some everyday issues:
1. The garbage problems continue, especially in South Goa.  No  short
or long term solution is forthcoming from any Govt. body. Whatever
garbage bins which were in the panchayat areas, especially the
beaches, have been removed, ostensibly as they cannot be cleared by
the authorities.  Meanwhile. every tourist walking along the beaches
is forced to throw his garbage wherever he can.  Our beautiful fields
are now receptacles for garbage bags.
2. Since November, the shacks on the beaches have proliferated, more
than 50% being unauthorised. The tourist dept., headed by an impotent
old man, is in paralysis.  The shacks are a law unto themselves,
spreading their beds and tables upto the waterline and preventing
pedestrians from strolling along the beach.
3. For the last 7 years, not a single lifeguard has stood on the
lifeguard stand on benaulim beach. In the meantime, regular drowning
deaths occur. Now, unsupervised watersports have added to the risk of
drowning deaths.
4. The road accesses to the beaches have not been widened or tarred
for the past 5 years. In fact there has not been a single initiative
from the tourism dept. to improve tourism in south Goa for years.
5. the South Goa tourist taxi mafia has started flexing its muscles,
in the face of an impotent police force and third rate Congress govt.
in power. Now, its even difficult to pick up your own relatives from a
starred hotel. If this isnt anarchy, what is?

regards, Gilbert Menezes