Hanukkah under Coconut Palms

By V. M. de Malar

Deck the halls, and string up lights on the balcao, it's Christmas and
Goa is the best place to experience real cheer and bonhomie at this
time of the year. The old neighborhoods are swarming with visiting
families and friends from every part of the world,  kitchens are busy
with sweets and traditional goodies, churches are all spruced up, and
our children are steadily working themselves up into a state of
excitement that will take weeks to subside; holiday time in Goa brings
familiar joys and treats,  our whole state gets into the party mood
until well past new year.

This year, the 25th of December also marks another significant
religious holiday. And just at sundown on Christmas Day, as we finally
wind down our epic holiday lunches, small worshipful gatherings will
be getting together in villages along our coastal strip. At each,  the
group will gather around eight-branched candelabra and, as sunlight
fades, a single taper will be kindled into flame, and voices will
raise a blessing (or Berakah) that was composed thousands of years
ago. It's age-old Judaism,  and on our beaches it meets the new age;
it's Hannukah in the coconut grove , Goa stye.

Why should we care? Well, sheer numbers make it significant, everybody
seems certain that there are well over 10,000 Israelis already in Goa
right now, ready to party on through New Year.  There are estimates
that this number could double, even quadruple.  As we turn into the
peak of high season our tiny Goa swells with the largest contingent of
Israelis abroad in one place other than the USA.

In some ways,  our Israeli visitors are merely restoring  tradition.
There's strong evidence of Jewish presence in Goa that far predates
the Portuguese, and the Bene Israeli community of nearby coastal
Maharashtra has been resident for at least 2000 years. Further south,
Cochin has been a stronghold for Jewish traders for centuries,  the
famous old synagogue bears stately witness to a rich and cosmopolitan
cultural tradition.

More recently,  Baghdadi Jewish families (including the fabulously
moneyed Sassoons) achieved great power and influence during the
British Raj,  particularly in Bombay and Calcutta, unfortunately all
these flourishing sub-communities have been decimated by migration to
modern-day Israel.

We Goans should note that the only episode of official anti-semitism
in India's long history took place right here under the Portuguese,
during the extremist excesses of the Inquisition. In one particularly
shabby episode, the bones of the great botanist Garcia da Orta (a
convert) were disinterred and burned at an Auto da Fe, but there were
many such stories in that time of great terror and blind zealotry.

We Goans should also note, this time with pride, the great mutual
respect and affection that built up between our people and General
Jacob,  the governor who still remains the best administrator we've
had.

The thousands of Israelis who congregate in Goa each season come from
a highly charged political cauldron in the Middle East, many have just
finished the arduous and soul-wrenching military service that's
required of all youth. They've come to Goa to blow off steam, to
unwind, to escape;  this partly explains their reputation for
arrogance and clannishness. Up to now,  we Goans have barely
understood this rapidly growing Israeli sub-culture on our soil, and
the Israelis have collectively shown no interest in the place where so
many of them congregate year after year.

But a kind of integration must be on its way.  Improbable, yes, but so
is the sound of a lone voice reciting praises in Hebrew, "Baruch atah
adonaiā€¦" in a vaddo that only resounded with Konkani before,  so is
the idea that ten thousand Israelis are here today in Goa and many
more are pouring in every day.

In 2005, those eight-branched candelabra (or menorahs) will be lit in
quiet interior rooms, as befitting a community that doesn't know or
understand how welcome it is in this tropical corner of the
subcontinent. Next year, may these be proudly displayed like they are
supposed to be,  illuminating the night and bearing witness to the
travels and triumphs of this ancient, formidable, tradition. Happy
Hanukkah to our Israeli guests, and to all of Goa.