|    Goanetters annual meet in Goa is scheduled for Dec 27, 2005 @ 4pm   |
|The Riviera Opposite Hotel Mandovi, Panjim (near Ferry Jetty/Riverfront)|
|         Attending.......drop a line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]            |
It was a treat to listen to William Dalrymple on the
28thDec at Literati, the bookshop at Candolim. He read
from his books City of Djinns,Age of Kali,White
Mughals, In Xanadu and From the Holy Mountain. He
captures underlying feelings and happenings and
outlines characters quite capably. Reading with his
trademark lisp, he regaled the audience seated outside
the Literati verandah, building emotion through his
storytelling.

The questions that followed were interesting too.A
lady mused over the fact that we all guffawed at the
Punjabi taxidriver's mannerisms and the Indian
policeman's accented English in WD's books, but were
quite forgiving of Dalrymple's bad pronunciation of
'Poonjabi','M'rutti','K-shatriya', etc. VM de Malar
inquired whether the author would delve into Goa as
potential book matter.

I spotted the great Gerson da Cunha,Isabel Vaz and
Margaret Mascarenhas,among those present. Also spotted
Cecil 'Grouchy' Pinto grumbling that there was no caju
feni on sale. But the wine was good. Divya, the
hardworking proprietor of Literati is building up the
place and ambience quite well.Keep it up!

GOANETTERS MEET - It was great meeting with some
Goanet regulars with Frederick.At the end of the meet,
it was the warning from Gerson da Cunha that struck me
as grim and important. He said we Goans are fighting
on a lot of fronts, but it is Land Use that is most
important.If Land Use is botched, we are in deep
trouble with no way of turning back. True, so
tragically true. I hope Gerson , with his experience
at AGNI will be in Goa for longer periods, guiding us
as the Moses-like figure that he strikes. Great man.

 Thanks for everything, Frederick and the team behind
Goanet. A Happy New Year to you and all Goanetters,
may we achieve all our dreams for 2006.

Jose Lourenco

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |