|                         Wishing all Goanetters                         |
|                             a Prosperous                               |
|                                  and                                   |
|                         Happy New Year - 2006                          |
|                    Goanet - http://www.goanet.org                      |
All networks jammed
Mid Day
Sanjeev Devasia
January 8, 2006

Back to back cars, circling planes waiting to land, endless minutes
spent connecting to the Internet. Our city doesn't give it much thought,
but traffic is escalating in Mumbai to frightening lengths. Whether it
is congestion on the road, air, Internet or mobile traffic, it is the
citizen who bears the brunt for lack of adequate infrastructure.

520 aircraft in a day, only 35 ATCs
During winter, congestion at Mumbai airport becomes worse. As most
flights from north India are diverted to Mumbai, there's a scary load on
the Mumbai sky.  Compounding the problem is the paltry number of Air
Traffic Regulators, when compared to the aircraft movement in the city.
Mumbai has an average of 520 aircraft movements in a single day, while
it has 35 ATCs in a shift - miniscule in comparison.

A senior Air Traffic Control (o) said, "There are plans to increase
number of Air Traffic Controllers by the Civil Aviation Ministry, but
there is a dearth of training institutes in the country. There is only
one training institute in Allahabad, which churns out 50 ATC (o) s every
year."
The root cause of the problem lies in the high-pressure nature of job of
the ATC (o). Simple classroom training is not enough. "An ATC after
passing out of the school, needs at least three to four years of
hands-on experience of radar control under supervision to handle it
independently."

According to sources, the ministry has plans to increase the number of
students passing out of the Civil Aviation Training College (CAT) at
Allahabad and double the current capacity by next year.

Also freshers who pass out from the CAT college cannot be directly put
up at radar controls in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, where there are 25
take offs or landings in an hour - that's a landing or take off every
three minutes.
A radar controller has to react in a flash at the Mumbai airport. He has
to guide the aircraft right from the engine taxiing, take off, altitude,
its approach to the airport when landing, parking and finally until the
doors of the aircraft are opened for passengers to exit.

Some of the solutions thrown up by experts are:
*       Increased ATC (o)s,
*       Parallel runways
*       Pilots should rely more on Instrument Flight Rule (IFR), rather
than depending on Visual Flight Rule, where he has to depend on
high-speed taxiways to exit the runaway after landing.

18 lakh vehicles on the roads
If that is the case with air, roads are worse. Frequent traffic jams and
long hours of traveling are an everyday occurrence for Mumbaikars. The
phenomenal number of vehicles and quality of roads have not helped
matters.
"The whole of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region has around 18 lakh vehicles
on the roads. On an average, around 300 vehicles are registered in a
day," said a transport official. "Every year, the city witnesses a 10-12
per cent growth in the number of new vehicles. This, when no new permits
are given for transport vehicles other than government vehicle and
transport vehicles," he added.

According to a traffic and planning expert closely associated with
several transport projects, the authorities are aware of the problems
relating to traffic. However, whenever they wake up to plan and
implement a project, the requirements of the day are much more than what
they had envisaged.
He listed four priorities that have to be taken care of to avoid
problems in future.
*       Reduce overcrowding of suburban railways by building a Mumbai
metro or an underground rail network or corridor.
*       Congestion pricing to restrict traffic. This can be done by
putting up toll booths in congested localities and by charging toll on
the vehicles entering these localities.
*       Area Traffic Control Co-ordination of all traffic signals
through computers and closed circuit televisions.
*       Clear encroachments and resettle encroachers.

1.85 million logging on to the Net
Even a new technology communication tool like the Internet is not free
from congestions in the network.  Presently, the country has about 38.5
million Internet users in the country, according to a survey and the
numbers are ever increasing. However, increasing numbers have only
resulted in slowing the Internet Access.

According to the Internet and Mobile Users Association (IAMAI) president
Preethi Desai, the penetration of net users in the city stands at 10.5
per cent and the number of Internet users at 1.85 million.

The Internet and Online Association (IOAI) also predicts that there will
be around 165 million interactive net users in the 20-40 age group by
2007.
According to Internet expert Vijay Mukhi, a majority of the Internet
usage in India and in the city is through wires.  However, wire is an
obsolete technology which has not seen much of research and development.

"Wired networks face a problem of congestion because of the lack of
bandwidth. For facilitating speedy flow of information, huge bandwidth
capacities are needed, which requires huge investments too. Besides,
wired technology is not scalable beyond a point, while wireless
technology is scalable," Mukhi said.

World over, internet users are shifting towards air or wireless network
employing technologies like CDMA and GPRS from a wired network.
"Earlier in my car, I could not use my computer, but now with my cell
phone I can log on to the Internet in the car itself.  Despite the
advantage of a wireless network, only five percent of internet users in
our country are logged on to it, while world over the figure ranges
around 50 percent," Mukhi said.  "We expect the number of internet users
using wireless network in India to rise to 30 percent. However, as a
temporary solution, the number of telephone lines and bandwidth going
outside the country should be increased, because a major part of the
traffic is outside the country and is done through the wires."

In the long term, even if there is freedom from wires and shift towards
wireless technology, the number of cell phone towers and supporting
infrastructure for it have to be increased," Mukhi added.

While the cell phone may have become the best communication tool in
recent times, networks have always gone kaput in times of crisis. The
number of mobile phone users in the city has reached around 60 lakh.

However, during recent disasters like the 26/7 deluge, the networks went
off track. Besides even on festivals, network congestion hinders
communication between people.

The alternative to provide hassle free communication is to increase the
number of cell towers and the supporting infrastructure, said Mukhi.

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |