|                         Wishing all Goanetters                         |
|                             a Prosperous                               |
|                                  and                                   |
|                         Happy New Year - 2006                          |
|                    Goanet - http://www.goanet.org                      |
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=01097

Saleli women end hunger strike on Jamir's assurance

NT Staff Reporter

Panaji Jan 8: The Governor, Mr S C Jamir today visited Saleli, met the
villagers who were on hunger strike and urged them to resume normal
life with the assurance that he would take up their matter with the
state government and ensure that the normalcy is restored.

Following the intervention of the Governor, the women of the village
who were on hunger strike for five days called off their agitation.
The local leader of Shetkari Kamgar Sanghathana, Mr Putu Gaonkar
offered a glass of lemon juice to an elderly lady, announcing the end
of the hunger strike.

Though the hunger strike has been withdrawn, the villagers resolved to
continue their 'sit-in' protests till the arrested villagers are
released. The police have arrested 104 villagers in connection with
the rioting case on December 28, while six others have been arrested
in connection with the killing of Prithviraj Rane.

Earlier in the day, Mr Jamir interacted with the agitating villagers,
who were on a hunger strike demanding immediate release of their men
folk, who are presently in police custody. The villagers were
agitating over the land ownership rights and demanding closure of the
crushers.

"Let this case of rioting be the first and last in Goa," Mr Jamir
appealed to the villagers. "Let no one take law and order into their
own hands. The law will take its own course, and in the meantime,
please go back to your homes since you are risking your health by
fasting and placing yourselves at the mercy of the elements of nature
by sleeping here in the open grounds," Mr Jamir urged the striking
villagers.

Mr Jamir also appealed to the people not to allow any elements to take
advantage of their problems to further their petty vested interests.

The villagers earlier submitted a memorandum to the Governor,
demanding immediate release of the 'innocent' villagers whom they say
are being falsely implicated, closure of all illegal stone crushers
and granite mining in reserved forest area; grant cultivated land to
the farmers; and abolition of proprietorship of village.

Asked by mediapersons if he has been directed by the Centre to visit
the village this morning, Mr Jamir rubbished it saying that he had
come to the village on his own volition as a concerned Governor of the
people who feels for the people.

"Law and order is a state subject," Mr Jamir pointed out to the
journalists and added "Why should the Centre involve itself in a state
matter?"

Mr Jamir later called on the bereaved family and expressed his
condolences to the family members. He urged the family to let bygones
be bygones and to let normalcy be restored without any delay.

A government release said that later in the day, the Governor
discussed the issue with senior ministers including, the Education
Minister, Mr Luizinho Faleiro.

The Chief Minister, Mr Pratapsingh Rane also called on the Governor
later in the evening. The Governor asked the Chief Minister to
consider the problem as a human problem and to treat the case
compassionately.

Mr Jamir also pointed out that various law and order problems such as
Naxalism are caused by unfair land holdings and suggested that to
ensure a future free from such turmoil the Goa legislative assembly
deliberate on the issue of land ownership.

The Governor also echoed the concerns of the villagers regarding
pollution and asked the government to properly ensure pollution
control measures so that the populace is not deprived of a clean and
healthy environment.

Meanwhile, the villagers have convened a meet on Monday to chalk out
the future strategy.
--
Cheers,

Gabe Menezes.
London, England

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |