|                  Read V.M. de Malar's latest Column:                   |
|                          Politics of Destruction                       |
|     http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=416

Shame on the Goa Government.  The last day of the five
day Goa Legislative Assembly session from 20th March,
2006 to 24th March, 2006 witnessed a near turmoil when
Opposition benches demanded from the treasury benches
to know the reason why the traditional Shigmotsav
celebrations due to be held at Curchorem  were
cancelled.

While the Chief Minister who is also the Home Minister
feared the recurrence of icidents affecting the law
and order situation following the 3rd March, 2006
riots the Opposition were in no mood to take this
lying down.

Unfortunately the Speaker too did not allow the
discussions and this earned the wrath of the
Opposition

This writer spoke to several persons in and around
Panaji and Porvorim late evening and they were one in
ecpressing resentment about the Government's
cancellation of the festivities.

It may be recalled that when the Navy did not permit
the faithful to celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of
Brotas at Anjediv on 2nd February, 2004 and 2005 there
was a hue and cry raised not only by the Catholic
community but also the entire Hindu community from
Canacona and Karwar besides other parts of Goa as this
had hurt the religious sentiments of the community.
Infact on 2nd February, 2003 there was a near riot
near the Binaga Gate and the Navy police personnel had
a tough time in quelling the crowds who remained at
the gate from 0600 hrs well past 1700 hrs to register
their protest.

It was left to this writer to broach the issue with
the higher ups the President of India the Prime
Minister and Madam Sonia Gandhi during her recent
visit to India and it must be said to the credit of
the Rajya Sabha member Mr Shantaram L Naik who raised
the issue in the Rajya Sabha by way of special mention
and a reply from the Union Defence Minister Mr Pranab
Mukherjee is awaited.

Therefore in the same manner the cowardice displayed
by the ruling party in the Goa viz the Congress led
coalition is condemnable.

An enquiry with the police official at Panaji
Headquarters revealed that there is no reliable
evidence thus far of any threat perception at
Curchorem if the Shigmotsav celebrations were held.
Even assuming without admission if such a threat was
imminent the Government could have made this public;
but merely stating that the law and order situation is
not conducive to allow such an event at this juncture
smacks of  a weak kneed decision.  For the records the
Zambaulim Gulal which indeed could have been put on a
high alert went of well with adequate police
protection.

Therefore one sees no reason for the cancellation.
One street vendor put it to this writer, stating if
the Government fears such threats they may well have
to close shop in promoting Goa as a 365 day
destination.

It is therefore left to the law makers to ensure that
the festivities are carried out and they should remain
present at the venue to build confidence among the
people.

GODFREY J I GONSALVES
BORDA MARGAO GOA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]