Goa News  Remix

08/11/2006
Ministers Birthdays
Guess  whose birthday today ?
Urban Development Minister Joaquim Alemao 49 and PWD Minister Mr. Davilkar,
born same day same month one year before (50).
Joaquim Alemao’s Birthday ads were about 7 and half pages putting together H
(5.5) & NT (2).

Death by drowning:
It seems, in Goa, at least one person dies of drowning (sea)  almost every day.
Yesterday, two young medical students (19 & 20) from Nagpur  drowned at Colva
Beach, and the other 3 were rescued by their friends and locals.
No Life Guards at Colva Beach ??

Churchill v/s Luizinho (Navelim constituency)
If no Congress Ticket then I will contest on ‘people’s ticket’ says Churchill.
What’s  People’s Ticket ? Another party ?
He also said Luizinh Faleiro who stays at in Borda-Fatorda  where as he
(Churchill) residing in Varca, a part of Navelim Constituency.
His brother Joaquim lives in Varca too yet he is a MLA of Cumcolim Constituency.

To build or not to build (new Zuari Bridge).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoauk/166996934/
 Still not very clear whether the new bridge will be built or not.
Nor the existing bridge thrown open to all vehicles up to 12 tonnes.
However, it was notified the bridge will be closed for 3 days 10, 11, 12 Nov
but on the next day it was said the bridge will now remain closed only one day
i.e. 12 th Nov. in order to carry out some important tests.

Goa’s Increasing Terrorist  threats ?
Ex-CM Parrikar (2nd Nov) accused CM Rane of withholding some important
information regarding security threats to Goa. He was demanding to know as to
why the presence of armed CISF  personnel in the assembly/secretariat complex.
He also said that truth should come before the public so that people can remain
alert and take due precautionary measures.
Whereas, Minister Digambar Kamat said Goa is on alert for possible terrorist
strikes
Just 3 days ago, when we went for a movie at Inox, we saw half a dozen armed
police force walking around in front of Old GMC and some of them were seen
sitting  on the benches by the river bank.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoauk/246982708/ see old GMC
What’s going on hamm!!
IFFI not even started (another 15 days to go) and why armed police force just
to guard empty old GMC building ? It looks like all in not well, guys, if you
are thinking to come down to Goa only for IFFI, may please reconsider or
re-schedule your plans.

New INSTANT MONEY ORDER by Indian Post.
Now, send money anywhere in India by means of iMO (instant money order).
Send/book at one post office and  by the time you count  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
8, 9 & 10, your money is ready to be collected at the destination PO by your
beneficiary.
Ok, How it works ?
Send up to Rs.50,000 say at Panaji GPO, the booking clerk will issue you a
security code (only known to you) you then communicate the same to the
beneficiary (at your risk) may be over the phone, email etc. He then go to the
Post office, fill up the form with the special  pin or security code supplied
by you and hand it over to the counter. Up to Rs.20,000 paid in cash and any
amount over 20,000 by cheque. (this is what I remember reading long time ago)
The new iMO started as from 1st Nov 2006.

IFFI
If senior film actors like Dev Anand, Shashi Kapoor, Richard Attenborough can
be the delegates for IFFI, I was just wondering if it was a good idea to invite
our First Konkani Film 1950  ‘MOGACHO AUMDDO’ Heroine, actress Leena Fernandes
e Dias, who is still alive and lives at Bombay. (see her pic and film poster)
Perhaps, our Tomazin Cardoz can do something about this ( cc to Tomazin,
Sharon)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joegoauk/260781292/

Cricket
Aussies v/s Sharad Pawar?
(Mr. Pawar is BCCI President, Union Agriculture Minister,  NCP President etc )
 Did any one of you watch last Sunday’s  Mini-World Cup presentation ceremony ?
Well,  I did and the moment I saw the incident I said to others ‘that’s not
very nice and I am sure it's going to be an issue or a controversy’
I saw (more than once)  players virtually pushing Mr. Pawar off the
presentation dais  in order to pose with the trophy (which was presented to
them by Mr.Sharad Pawar himself).  It was really not a nice thing to show the
world.
Is this their typical attitude towards Asians ?

Remember my earlier post on ‘Villas & Apartments for sale’ ?
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=284170002&size=o
It appears  apartments/villas starts from Rs.92,00,000 and there was one villa
for Rs.280,00,000  rate being Rs.5400/sq.foot
Very very expensive hammm.  I did warn you, din't I ?
No further queries please.

Air Deccan brought Miss Unirverse & her 27 crew members  to Goa but on
returning, the flight took off without them leaving them stranded at Goa
airport on Saturday.
 All of them had  boarding passes but they were stopped by the airlines'
authorities  for carrying excess baggage weighing about 650kgs. They were told
to pay about Rs.60,000 towards excess baggage, they refused to pay so the
flight left for Bangalore without them. All came back to the hotel and left
again next day. However, Bangalore show/events scheduled for Sunday had to be
cancelled.

INOX
Inox will have special offers and discounts for seven days (6-12) to celebrate
the occasion of second aniversary.
On 8th Nov. Buy two ticket and get one free (Max foru ticket per transaction)
On 9th, Senior Citizen's day. All those above 60 will get free ticket when they
produce valid age or photo ID.
On 10th, No. 2 is your lucky Number. So do look for the number 2 on your
College ID or driving licence and avail of Rs.25 off on your movie tickets.
On 11th, if you have any two alphabets of INOX in you name they avail of Rs25
off
On 12th,  Free ticket if 12 Nov is your birthday or wedding anniverday.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

for Goa & NRI related info...
Konkani Songs, Goan Photos, Tiatr/Film VCDs, Bank interest rates etc etc
(for updates etc click below)